Forums

Help › Forums

I need Scott Hope!!

Sat, Apr 22 2023 12:50 PM (29 replies)
  • rdam1989
    219 Posts
    Fri, Mar 24 2023 7:22 PM

Thak you Scott for that helpful link. I am not qualified to work on registry keys.

I did rename the file and the program did update however the problem still exists.

Uninstall and reinstall tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help everyone,

Rich

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sat, Mar 25 2023 2:03 AM

rdam1989:
    Thak you Scott for that helpful link. I am not qualified to work on registry keys.

You don't need to be, Rich. There's a downloadable file that does it for you. Cheers.

Scott.

• rdam1989
    219 Posts
    Sat, Mar 25 2023 6:04 AM

Yes Scott, that is what I was alluding to in my last post. You have saved me from having to work on registry keys! I could not be more grateful for that file.

Thank you again,

Rich

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Sat, Mar 25 2023 6:05 AM

ScottHope:

rdam1989:

You don't need to be, Rich. There's a downloadable file that does it for you. Cheers.

Scott.

Yes, Do use Scotts method w/removing that registry key. I get the apprehension- but hundreds if not more have used this without any issue.

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sat, Mar 25 2023 6:09 AM

rdam1989:
    Yes Scott, that is what I was alluding to in my last post.

Oops, sorry Rich. My middle name is misinterpretation.  ; ))

⇧ Thanks PG.  ; ) ⇧

• protonc
    644 Posts
    Sat, Mar 25 2023 6:53 AM

If the issue hasn't been resolved I have two guesses.

1. Check to see if you have Dell SupportAssist, if you do, disable this hog!  It's the most likely culprit in my opinion.  Run it manually when you need it.  Disable below.

2. You have something running at startup that is causing this issue.  Go to Task Manager, select Startup tab, any programs listed that you don't use on a daily basis, right click on the program and select Disable.  Example, you may find Cortana, if you don't use it, disable it.  They may be a couple programs that you'll want to startup, but most are not required. You can always startup the program manually later as well.  As an example, I have 18 startup programs, but I only allow 5.  I don't need iTunes, Amazon, Steam, Xbox Services, etc. most days.  Reboot after you've disabled.  If you don't know which ones you can disable, just lets us know, we'll help.

There are services that you can set to Manual as well, but this can cause other issues.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sat, Mar 25 2023 9:33 AM

protonc:

If the issue hasn't been resolved I have two guesses.

1. Check to see if you have Dell SupportAssist, if you do, disable this hog!  It's the most likely culprit in my opinion.  Run it manually when you need it.  Disable below.

2. You have something running at startup that is causing this issue.  Go to Task Manager, select Startup tab, any programs listed that you don't use on a daily basis, right click on the program and select Disable.  Example, you may find Cortana, if you don't use it, disable it.  They may be a couple programs that you'll want to startup, but most are not required. You can always startup the program manually later as well.  As an example, I have 18 startup programs, but I only allow 5.  I don't need iTunes, Amazon, Steam, Xbox Services, etc. most days.  Reboot after you've disabled.  If you don't know which ones you can disable, just lets us know, we'll help.

There are services that you can set to Manual as well, but this can cause other issues.

Just a general comment...

What on earth is happening with Dell???? It used to be one of the best and reliable companies in PC world, with great products. It's been like 2 years now that they are trying to destroy what they have built all this time. Such a shame!!

• rdam1989
    219 Posts
    Sat, Mar 25 2023 11:22 AM

Thank you Pro!

I have disabled everything except for antivirus and sound, things that I know I use. Question, I see the dell supportassist, but don't know how to disable it. It is not in my start up tab on task manager. 

Thank you again for your help, it is much appreciated!

Rich

• protonc
    644 Posts
    Sat, Mar 25 2023 2:46 PM

Since disabling programs from startup, it's an easy test, even for some programs you might use.  Just a thought if you keep having issues.

As for SupportAssist, it has to be done in Services.msc.

Go to Windows search in taskbars, type in services.msc or right click Start icon, selecting Run, typing 'services.msc', right-clicking 'Dell SupportAssist Agent', selecting Properties, and changing the 'Startup type' to Disabled or Manual. I can't remember, but there may be another one that can be changed.  Make a note of this incase you want to go back and change it later.

Me personally, I uninstalled it, my laptop is a few years old and there's not much support now and Windows Update does a good enough job.  If I have issues that I can't figure out on my own, I download it from Dell's website. 

Good luck, fingers crossed.

• rdam1989
    219 Posts
    Sun, Mar 26 2023 6:43 AM

Thank you again Pro!

I am in a similar situation with my Dell Desktop, so I am going to uninstall it. I know where to find Dell if needed.

Thank you to all and I will let you know once everything has been completed.

Rich

RSS