Forums

Help › Forums

WGT Leaderboards are annoying

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 18 2023 10:11 AM (9 replies)
  • DscoDan
    154 Posts
    Thu, Mar 16 2023 12:17 PM

Something that has always bugged me.  Why does WGT show only the Totals on leaderboards, rather than the number of shots under or over par.  Can you please add shots +/- par to leaderboards??

When have you ever looked at the results of a PGA golf tournament and said oh look Rory won the tournament with a 264.  Good for him.

Dan

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Mar 17 2023 5:42 AM

DscoDan:
    Can you please add shots +/- par to leaderboards??
    You better not wish for this!

1) Any modification costs money, and WGT's CFO may object, as the game plays will as-is.

2) Any modification is prone to disseminate program faults or flaws, and this tarnishes the playing experience for us, and causes more costs to eliminate.

3) You may talk exclusively about +- Par in GPA tournaments but not in WGT games. For each single ranked round, the no. of shots is important for average calculation. Even today, players get confused by "+- Par" talk - imagine how bad this would get if WGT presented both numbers in the game!

• DscoDan
    154 Posts
    Fri, Mar 17 2023 7:40 AM

alosso:
    For each single ranked round, the no. of shots is important for average calculation

It is simply a matter of presentation on the leaderboard. Internally the program can still easily determine the total number of shots for use in average calculation.

I think we all agree, at a glance +/- par is a much easier indication of how the player performed.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, Mar 17 2023 9:34 AM

DscoDan:
    Why does WGT show only the Totals on leaderboards, rather than the number of shots under or over par.  Can you please add shots +/- par to leaderboards??

I think this is a good suggestion, Dan.  Maybe a toggle between total strokes and score relative to par.

alosso:

You better not wish for this!

1) Any modification costs money, and WGT's CFO may object, as the game plays will as-is.

2) Any modification is prone to disseminate program faults or flaws, and this tarnishes the playing experience for us, and causes more costs to eliminate.

alosso, are you suggesting that we should never ask for modifications we'd like to see, because (a) they take effort, and (b) they could possibly cause other problems?  If so, that seems ludicrous.  This is, after all, the Product Suggestions area of the Forums.  All suggestions are welcome here.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Mar 18 2023 3:09 AM

SamSpayed:
    alosso, are you suggesting that we should never ask for modifications we'd like to see, because (a) they take effort, and (b) they could possibly cause other problems? 
    Of course we may ask for changes, if they are important / mandatory.

But, my caveats stand. Not to block any wishes but to include some precaution, it's good to keep the difference between our needs and the company's needs in mind. We want fun and comfort, they want revenue.

And, long lasting experience shows that, too often, any "amelioration" leads to devastating break-ups in the game - my name for that is "betterworsening".

• DscoDan
    154 Posts
    Sat, Mar 18 2023 10:11 AM

alosso:
    For each single ranked round, the no. of shots is important for average calculation.

I'm sure the system would still be able to determine the total number of shots for average calculation.  We're only talking about a simple addition to leaderboards to show +/- par.  Afterall, it is shown in the upper right of the screen while playing the round.  Why not display it on the leaderboard as well?

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sat, Mar 18 2023 12:09 PM

alosso:

But, my caveats stand. Not to block any wishes but to include some precaution, it's good to keep the difference between our needs and the company's needs in mind. We want fun and comfort, they want revenue.

What is "important" to one player might not be important to another.  And that's fine.  Again, all suggestions are welcome.  Nobody using these Forums needs to "include some precaution" about asking for things they'd like to see.  WGT will read the suggestions and decide themselves whether or not to implement them.

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Sun, Mar 19 2023 6:58 AM

SamSpayed:

WGT will read the suggestions and decide themselves not to implement them.

FTFY.

• sammey1
    679 Posts
    Sun, Mar 19 2023 7:16 AM

It used to be like that under flash.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Mar 19 2023 9:58 AM

+1 @Yiannis1970!

alosso:

SamSpayed:
    What is "important" to one player might not be important to another.  And that's fine.  Again, all suggestions are welcome.  Nobody using these Forums needs to "include some precaution" about asking for things they'd like to see.
    Good to see both of our opinions. I'm gonna leave it at that.

SamSpayed:
    WGT will read the suggestions and decide themselves whether or not to implement them.
    You wish, while I side with Yiannis.

RSS