Third wedge

Sun, Jul 9 2023 9:41 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AlaskanDame
    18,968 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2023 11:46 AM

CSM111:

Never did a punch with wedges may try it 

In addition to the distance coverage, punching a wedge is especially useful for greens tilting uphill from you.  Ya don’t want to rollback and a punch shot usually won’t.

Also, punching from rough is useful,  From 30/40, a punch cancels the rough effect.  From 40/50, a punch cancels about. half the effect.

• Dneirf
    418 Posts
    Fri, Jun 9 2023 4:43 PM

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Mon, Jun 12 2023 9:00 AM

Biggest mistake I see is players using a hybrid wood as opposed to a third wedge.  I usually check distance of hybrid against their three wood and irons of those I play against.  Distance of an average hybrid is around 225 yards where the distance of a three iron, depending on clubs/level, is 215-225 yards. Anything above three iron can easily be covered by a three wood.  Basically, the hybrid is a waste as opposed to the benefit of a third wedge.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Jun 12 2023 10:08 AM

Squatch031:

Biggest mistake I see is players using a hybrid wood as opposed to a third wedge.  I usually check distance of hybrid against their three wood and irons of those I play against.  Distance of an average hybrid is around 225 yards where the distance of a three iron, depending on clubs/level, is 215-225 yards. Anything above three iron can easily be covered by a three wood.  Basically, the hybrid is a waste as opposed to the benefit of a third wedge.

Many experienced players fully agree with your advice to use a 3rd wedge vice a hybrid. I've read several posts suggesting the same and believe it to be fairly common place guidance in the forum. 

• CSM111
    119 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2023 4:30 AM

Good info . Has anybody see any stats in percentages or yards to add when punching with wedges out of different rough. I have notes on hitting full shots out of rough like. 20/30 % add10 yards, 30/40 % add 20 yards and 40 /50% add 30 yards Just wondering if there is anything like this for punches. 

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2023 8:36 AM

CSM111:
    20/30 % add10 yards, 30/40 % add 20 yards and 40 /50% add 30 yards

I will be the first to say that I am not one of the better players on WGT or in the forums for that matter. Having said that, I never heard of simply adding a set amount of yards for all shots from rough.

I have been using a multiplier to obtain distance and then use the appropriate shot (sometimes) and club.

If I am faced with 30/40 rough, after adjusting for wind, I multiply the adjusted distance by 1.15 (or a 15% increase); 40-50 rough, I use 1.20 and increase by 5% for each jump in rough depth, so, 50/60 would be 1.25.

In deep rough, I tend to use a punch (unless within flopping range) and use the multiplier as stated above.

I never asked anyone if that was correct, just the way I have always done it and, usually, it works out well for me.

I am curious what other (better) players do.

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2023 9:41 AM

HamdenPro:
    I will be the first to say that I am not one of the better players on WGT or in the forums for that matter. Having said that, I never heard of simply adding a set amount of yards for all shots from rough.

Back when I started, and indeed CSM111 as he started a few months before me, we did indeed add around 10yds for 25-30 rough. 15-20yds for 30-40 rough, and I can't remember the rest.  We also used to just take off 6yds for full backspin.  But that was all with lesser clubs and balls; with the clubs and balls we have now that has all changed.  What the figures are now I can't say, and I can't say because I don't know, I just play what feels right, sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm not... just like real golf  :)

• PAGES
RSS