Live Series 2023 Season Changes/Updates

Fri, Sep 16 2022 6:12 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • WGTNico
    619 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2022 2:00 PM

Hey everyone, 

Live Series 2023 Season Changes

We have exciting changes coming to the 2023 Live Series Season! Our goals for these changes are to make the overall season much more competitive and have the closest Season Championship we've ever had. We've also overhauled the point system - see all details below. 

Format Changes

• Our previous Live Series seasons featured one unlimited qualifier round, but we have made the following changes:

• The first qualifier is a standard unlimited tournament. However, the better your score, the more points you receive

• The top 50 from the first qualifier play in a single-play round tournament. The top 10 from this second qualifier qualify for the Live Stream and earn additional points based on their placement.

• The Live Stream points give players the majority of points earned. However, we intend to make the Season Championship much more competitive with multiple players in the running to win the season.

• The Season Championship Live Stream is weighed heavier than all previous Live Streams throughout the season.

• To add parity to the Live Series, we significantly lowered the point totals that the top 10 players earn, which results in more players in the race for the season championship.

• The Live Stream of the month will feature our most difficult conditions to date:

• 14 green speeds with high winds

• We've also added a 60-second shot clock for all players

• The first and second qualifier are available to play on all platforms

• Live Stream is only available to play on WGT's desktop version

• Prizes

• WGT Credits based on your placement in each tournament

• The season champion receives the exclusive Hall of Fame player tier

• The season champion also receives a community tournament where they choose the title, wind conditions, green speed, and more!

Point System Changes

First qualifier

• An open and unlimited qualifier on 18 holes

• The top 50 players play the next qualifier in a single-play round 

• Par Points Only

Second qualifier

• The top 10 players play in the Live Stream

Live Stream of the month (based on placement 1st-10th)

1. 250 points

2. 225 points

3. 200 points

4. 175 points

5. 150 points

6. 125 points

7. 100 points

8. 90 points

9. 80 points

10. 70 points

• jacktrade51
    10,901 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2022 7:34 PM

Many might not agree with me, but the first change is single round.  I get unlimmited round produces more revenue for WGT.  But I am un-interested untiil is a straight up tournament.

• JDGHOST
    6,782 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2022 8:41 PM

WGTNico:
    We've also added a 60-second shot clock for all players

LOVE this rule but wish it was for ALL rounds !!

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2022 11:37 PM

Dear WGT TEAM

Brilliant changes.

This is what we been asking for sometime and you guys delivered it.

As far as first unlimited round is concerned, I mean we have to think from WGT's perspective as well. So, I welcome and is chuffed with these new updates. 

- Carl 

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Tue, Sep 13 2022 10:30 AM

Nico,

Great changes, but I have a couple questions:

1.  How many months will make up the 2023 Live Series Season?

2.  Will the conditions for the Season Championship Live Stream be the same as the monthly Live Streams (14 greens / high winds / 60 sec clock)?

3.  Will ALL players be eligible for the Season Championship, regardless of their home country / geographic location?

• WGTNico
    619 Posts
    Tue, Sep 13 2022 3:55 PM

1. We're still waiting on finalizing some budget things for next year, but last season had 6 Live Series events (where you earn points), and then the championship. We also had the fun off-season team event sprinkled in that weren't apart of receiving points for the season.

There's 4 USGA events, and then we build our Live Series schedule around that. It should follow a very similar model of 6 Live Series events in a season and then the finale/championship but if anything changes I'll update everyone.

2. Yes conditions throughout all the live events are 14 greens, high winds, with 60 second shot clock. We really like how the shot clock has played out and SLG who produces the show really enjoys how well the broadcast flows with it as well

3. Yes. All players are eligible for Live Series, since we do not use any prize pool outside of credits (we also may be using sleeves as prizes but not confirmed yet), everyone is eligible to play. The only requirement is that if you make the top 10, you must play on PC to be able to be apart of the live event. Any of the first two qualifiers can played

SamSpayed:

1.  How many months will make up the 2023 Live Series Season?

2.  Will the conditions for the Season Championship Live Stream be the same as the monthly Live Streams (14 greens / high winds / 60 sec clock)?

3.  Will ALL players be eligible for the Season Championship, regardless of their home country / geographic location?

on any platform 

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Tue, Sep 13 2022 5:00 PM

jacktrade51:

Many might not agree with me, but the first change is single round.  I get unlimmited round produces more revenue for WGT.  But I am un-interested untiil is a straight up tournament.

Totally agree with this.  I wonder how many attempts the current leader had to score 49?  Absolutely pointless!  If you want to find the best players, make all rounds single play!  Then maybe you'll get a few different names in the mix too rather than the same names every competition, i.e. those who have millions of credits and never need to spend a single penny/cent to buy the most expensive balls!

And talking of balls, when are you going to stop slowing the meter down???  I watched the live stream the other day between Shaleo and Young - you could have taken the Orient Express on it's full journey for the time it took the meter to get back to the ding.  Absolutely no skill any more, anyone can hit the ding with those balls!  How about only allowing them to use the old WGT Legend balls with a fast meter and little spin, and see how good they are then?!?

The game isn't about skill any more, it's about who can afford the most expensive balls.  And it will only be those players who don't put any money into the game!

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2022 4:36 AM

WGTNico:
    We have exciting changes coming to the 2023 Live Series Season! Our goals for these changes are to make the overall season much more competitive and have the closest Season Championship we've ever had.

I saw no discussion of this in the forum or in your main discord server (the one anyone can view and/or participate), so you only discussed it with your "elite" group.

Wgt clearly would want as much play, ball use, as possible whereas the group you were talking to would like to arrive in the last 10 with as little time spent as possible.  It's likely that you'd also like more of the top players to focus on this and the 3,600c prize in the first round aren't likely to persuade them.

How to get them to play less yet have wgt get more ball usage?

Take the person now in 11th, Young, he has scored 51.  Under thew old rules he'd need to play again until he shot 50 but now he can wait and see what happens with the scores.  So that's what the top players got, less rounds to play in the unlimited as their position within the top 50 doesn't really matter as it'll only be a couple of points difference.  They then have to try to get into the top ten in a single round competition they wanted. 

There is a clock, which I think is a good thing, but I also think it's too long and strangely not in use in the unlimited or the single play round.  While a clock wouldn't stop collusion it may make people playing at the same time and talking about the shots, coaching, and generally helping more difficult.  A shorter clock would help further.  In fact the place a clock is going to be in play is where it's least needed. 

I suppose the rounds wgt lose with the top players you think you'll more than pick up with those seeing top 50 as a more realistic prospect than top 10, probably true.

I'm not sure this will result in the things you say it will, I just can't see the particular turkeys you consulted voting for Christmas, but we'll see.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2022 6:52 AM

Sorry but live series is not what floats my boat nor any of my friends , so can’t see this making an ounce of difference to me . 
    But if it works for WGT and others good luck to you  

• WGTNico
    619 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2022 8:29 AM

While there hasn't been a lot of discussion about the changes, most of it has been positive. You can find the discussion in the main Discord in the #esports channel. Also, yes that pro player Discord does exist and only has players that have participated in live events in the past, and even then there was little discussion about these changes outside of them liking the changes. 

DodgyPutter:
    I saw no discussion of this in the forum or in your main discord server (the one anyone can view and/or participate), so you only discussed it with your "elite" group.

The new format was setup by myself, R2G, and champ. We fully knew that this new format would end up with less ball hits and that's completely okay because we wanted each Live Series event and the season as a whole to overall be more competitive. Whether that's a success or not won't be fully known until the end of the season. However, I don't find it unfair to say that is quite a bit better than the last format of JUST unlimited playthrough for an entire month to determine the top 10. There were so many points available that if you didn't make the top 10, you were already out of the running for the season. 

DodgyPutter:

Wgt clearly would want as much play, ball use, as possible whereas the group you were talking to would like to arrive in the last 10 with as little time spent as possible.  It's likely that you'd also like more of the top players to focus on this and the 3,600c prize in the first round aren't likely to persuade them.

How to get them to play less yet have wgt get more ball usage?

• PAGES
RSS