Forums

Help › Forums

"One timeout remaining"

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 30 2023 7:15 AM (27 replies)
  • preston2362
    1 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2022 11:18 AM

This minor mistake has bothered me for quite some time.  The first time your clock runs out you get the message "One timeout remaining" and you continue to play.  But the fact of the matter is you have NO timeouts remaining.  When you run out of time again the round is over.

So I submit to you that the message that pops up on your screen the first time you clock runs out should be corrected to "No timeouts remaining".

I'm pretty sure WGT will not make this correction, because it is not a very big deal, just a burr under my saddle.  What way you???

Have fun.

Preston2362

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2022 9:50 PM

preston2362:
    I'm pretty sure WGT will not make this correction

You are 100% correct there!

If they didn't see fit to change it after someone was DQ'd from a Major LIVE Streamed WGT Event Final, specifically due to this issue, then I cannot see them ever changing it! 😖

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 12:40 AM

This is true but you know if that after you time out once if you do again then you are done. It should be fixed but an experienced player should know this also.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 12:42 AM

Wow... I'm just baffled and amazed that it can be interpreted that way. LOL There's nothing wrong with the message, thus nothing needs to be corrected.

With two timeouts given to you, right after you use the first one and before the timer starts ticking again, it's 100% correct when it tells you "one timeout remaining" which means that is your second AND last chance.

It's like warning "you've got ONLY ONE chance left now so do not waste it!".

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 7:15 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Wow... I'm just baffled and amazed that it can be interpreted that way. LOL There's nothing wrong with the message, thus nothing needs to be corrected.

I'm baffled that there are so many people who don't understand basic English and believe that it's correctly worded.

Let's look at it a bit differently. I have a bag of apples and I give you one apple to eat and tell you that you have one "apple remaining".  Why would anyone think that that means there are zero apples left in the bag to eat and not that there is still one apple left?

Saying that you have a "time out" implies that you can allow the shot clock to expire without penalty as you have a time out to use to get one extension of that shot clock. (and this is what actually happens when you use your first time out)

You are then told you have "one time out remaining". Why would anyone think that the time out they have remaining would be different from the first one? If the first "time out" resulted in a shot clock extension it is only logical to assume that the second "time out" would also result in the same action. Back to the apples analogy ... If I said I had a bag with two apples and I give you one, then tell you there is one remaining, would you not be surprised when you came back for the second apple and I pulled out a banana?

If you were in fact told that you have "No timeouts remaining" that would imply that you cannot allow the shot clock to expire as you do not have a time out to extended it and will therefore be disqualified.

This argument ultimately boils down to basic English grammar and while yes, most veteran players understand that they can extend the clock once and on the second instance will be DQ'd  that is only based on experience and not because the wording used in the game is correct.

• ScottHope
    10,092 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 8:09 AM

Think of it this way Preston. As human beings, we have one life, when time runs out on that life, the game is over.  : (

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 11:59 AM

MarchieB:
    This argument ultimately boils down to basic English

No, it doesn't. It has nothing to do with basic English, français, castellano, æ—¥æœ¬èªž, 한국어, whatever language you name. It's not about idioms, but rather one's ability to understand logic(s).

By borrowing your apples analogy, here's what you're doing. Someone gave you a bag containing two apples. You ate one in front of the giver so the giver kindly informed you "(Now that you just finished one of the two, you've got) one apple remaining". Then you ate the second and turned around asking the giver "Hey, where's my apple? I thought there was one more 'cause you told me 'one apple remaining'! You should've said 'no apples remaining'!"

• SamSpayed
    4,898 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 2:07 PM

MarchieB:
    I'm baffled that there are so many people who don't understand basic English and believe that it's correctly worded.

Agreed.  I look at it like the NBA does.  In the NBA, each team is allowed seven (7) timeouts per game.  That means they can take a timeout 7 times.  After they've taken 7, they can't take any more.  Pretty simple.  Not sure why that's that hard to understand 🙄

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 3:04 PM

MarchieB:

Let's look at it a bit differently. I have a bag of apples and I give you one apple to eat and tell you that you have one "apple remaining".  Why would anyone think that that means there are zero apples left in the bag to eat and not that there is still one apple left?

I'm not amazed or baffled by either view, people see things differently and English isn't always precise, take your analogy.

Because they do have one apple remaining?   You gave them it, what is or isn't in the bag (that you have) is irrelevant to the statement ;-).

As this is a computer game Scott's one life is apt.  In any games I've seen "one life remaining" stated, if you lose that life then  it's game over. 

That said I've always felt the message is wrong and  it would clearly be understood by all if the message said, "no timeouts remaining".

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2022 3:07 PM

SamSpayed:
    Not sure why that's that hard to understand

That is not hard to understand. What is hard to understand is how one can believe he will still have one apple left while eating that last apple in his hand. Duh! Un-f***ing-believable! LOL 

RSS