Forums

Help › Forums

Coins instead of apparel

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 29 2022 2:56 PM (36 replies)
  • rjteeithi
    673 Posts
    Sun, Nov 28 2021 4:20 PM

C'mon WGT, we don't want coin bonus' when our slacks are level 10 or whatever!

How hard is it to give us clothing that is not full to the brink?

Sometimes it seems there are only children creating this damn game

• PrimerLance
    14 Posts
    Wed, Jan 12 2022 9:29 PM

It's not a matter of being hard or easy.  WGT doesn't eliminate maxed items from packs because that would allow people to max the Rare and Epic apparel relatively quickly, when WGT wants them instead coming back and wasting ball hits for years in pursuit of a goal they'll never reach.

And when I say they'll never reach the goal, I'm not being hyperbolic. Doing a little back-of-the-envelope math based on my own completely unrepresentative pace -- I am both better than the typical coin-room player and have been grinding three sponsorships most days for the past nine months -- it would take me a decade to max the Rare items and over 20 years for the Epics if I were to maintain that clip.  It would take ages longer for anyone less skilled or maniacally focused on the task.

And the gaps between levels seem like they're designed to obscure this fact from players.  People see they've reached level 6 and are meant to think "Ohh, level 6!  Out of 10!  I'm making significant progress!" rather than "I've been at this a year and am 4.6% of the way to maxing that glove -- why bother?"  After a couple months, when I sat down for five minutes and counted up how few points were going to non-Common items, I was appalled.  And I immediately abandoned the goal of ever maxing any of that stuff, when my aim upon starting was specifically to unlock every outfit.

So, paradoxically, WGT's avarice in setting the bar so impossibly high should actually cost it revenue if players collectively began reacting rationally to incentives.  It took me these nine months to max the high-value items (driver distance, etc.) and unlock the level-9 apparel across all brands.  But now I have no reason to ever play a non-Showdown coin game for as long as I live because the next set of rewards is too far off to make it worthwhile.  Only a critical mass of people adopting that attitude would have any hope of changing this state of affairs.

• MioKontic
    4,587 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 2:47 AM

PrimerLance:

It would take ages longer for anyone less skilled

Isn't it about time you started playing some ranked games and move up to the correct tier rather than sitting in the lowly Legend tier.  Two and a half years in Legend Tier with your 'skill', and playing AND placing in just a few premium tournaments, does nothing but scream sandbagger!

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 4:31 AM

MioKontic:

PrimerLance:

It would take ages longer for anyone less skilled

Isn't it about time you started playing some ranked games and move up to the correct tier rather than sitting in the lowly Legend tier.  Two and a half years in Legend Tier with your 'skill' does nothing but scream sandbagger!

That’s a bit harsh , how long did it take you to move from legend to tour legend.

Of course tier moves can always be advanced by playing lots of ranked rounds on the red tees , easy pin positions and easy speed greens with low wind. 
    I know I could advance to champion whenever I want if I only play red tees , which I don’t want to do . Doesn’t mean someone is a sandbagger.
    I also think your comment about the lowly Legend tier is very disrespectful. 

• MioKontic
    4,587 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 5:16 AM

Not harsh at all.  I do not play off the red tees, neither do I score like PrimerLance... in only premium tournaments!!!  In the few ranked rounds he has played he has amassed numerous credits, and has even played with WGT's best in a top tournament.  This is the exact meaning of a sandbagger!

With regards to the 'lowly Legend tier', that is once again amimed at PrimerLance and his apparent abilities.

In future, before replying, do some reasearch... like I did!

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 5:57 AM

PrimerLance:

It's not a matter of being hard or easy.  WGT doesn't eliminate maxed items from packs because that would allow people to max the Rare and Epic apparel relatively quickly, when WGT wants them instead coming back and wasting ball hits for years in pursuit of a goal they'll never reach.

And when I say they'll never reach the goal, I'm not being hyperbolic. Doing a little back-of-the-envelope math based on my own completely unrepresentative pace -- I am both better than the typical coin-room player and have been grinding three sponsorships most days for the past nine months -- it would take me a decade to max the Rare items and over 20 years for the Epics if I were to maintain that clip.  It would take ages longer for anyone less skilled or maniacally focused on the task.

And the gaps between levels seem like they're designed to obscure this fact from players.  People see they've reached level 6 and are meant to think "Ohh, level 6!  Out of 10!  I'm making significant progress!" rather than "I've been at this a year and am 4.6% of the way to maxing that glove -- why bother?"  After a couple months, when I sat down for five minutes and counted up how few points were going to non-Common items, I was appalled.  And I immediately abandoned the goal of ever maxing any of that stuff, when my aim upon starting was specifically to unlock every outfit.

So, paradoxically, WGT's avarice in setting the bar so impossibly high should actually cost it revenue if players collectively began reacting rationally to incentives.  It took me these nine months to max the high-value items (driver distance, etc.) and unlock the level-9 apparel across all brands.  But now I have no reason to ever play a non-Showdown coin game for as long as I live because the next set of rewards is too far off to make it worthwhile.  Only a critical mass of people adopting that attitude would have any hope of changing this state of affairs.

Well thought out and "HEAR HEAR" !!

My goal was really only to Max out my driver and 3wood distance for showdown play and after some extreme diligence I was almost able to accomplish that.... Why "almost" ?? Glad you asked...

I was able to get to level 10 on the driver distance BUT in the COMMON HAT ONLY!! even tho I would ALWAYYS chose SE when "activating sponsorship" prior to coin games once the EPIC and RARE hats reached level 5... BOOM that's it I went month's without ever seeing them again in gold,silver, or even Platinum boxes!!

So I then shifted focus over to the 3wood.. I wanted to max out (level 10) The "Max" Brand shirt (which is 3wood distance w/out the crazy added iron spin of the SE shirts) So i started ONLY activating the Max Brand sponsorship prior to coin games. Once again pure frustration as I would rarely if ever receive points towards that particular shirt after 100's of games I'm stuck at level 9 not even halfway to level 10!! 

Conclusion....I GAVE UP TRYING 😡😡😡

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 6:05 AM

MioKontic:

Not harsh at all.  I do not play off the red tees, neither do I score like PrimerLance... in only premium tournaments!!!  In the few ranked rounds he has played he has amassed numerous credits, and has even played with WGT's best in a top tournament.  This is the exact meaning of a sandbagger!

With regards to the 'lowly Legend tier', that is once again amimed at PrimerLance and his apparent abilities.

I did research that you became a legend in June 2011 , and haven’t yet progressed beyond tour legend. 
    furthermore I never said YOU played red tees , I was merely pointing out how easy it is to progress if someone does take that route. Only playing from tier legend tees , will be a longer route. I see nothing unusual in primerlance being at his tier given his account only started in 2019. 
     Given his RR are important to you , looking at comparisons etc he plays ave 15 pm , you play 30 , I play 63 , so perhaps I should suggest to you , to play more RR !  

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 6:09 AM

MioKontic:

No actually what he's doing isn't the "exact meaning of a sandbagger" (deliberately underperform in a race or competition to gain an unfair advantage.)  His scores look pretty good to me.

This is down to wgt and the way they work out tiers, I agree that the rr's he plays are in premier tournaments but he has every right to play that way. Your replies also have little to do with what was being discussed in this thread and his reply did, and I think was very informative and we could do with hearing more from him.

If wgt are hanging out the carrot of this great apparel that takes a tremendous number of victories in coin rooms and showdowns to get, then folk that want that are going to spend a lot of time there (instead of playing rr's for example).  If they are then to tier up in line with their skill level then wgt need to adjust the system so that victories there (coin rooms etc) are taken into account to an appropriate extent.

It's really not up to every player to play the way we want them to so they are at the right tier.  The whole system is now a mess with lots of very high level lower tier players and that's not down to PrimerLance or any other player.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 7:50 AM

MioKontic:
    Isn't it about time you started playing some ranked games and move up to the correct tier rather than sitting in the lowly Legend tier.  Two and a half years in Legend Tier with your 'skill', and playing AND placing in just a few premium tournaments, does nothing but scream sandbagger!

If the player is a "sandbagger," he's kinda lousy at it and doesn't really understand the concept all that well. 

Players at Legend tier play from the back tees like higher-tier players. I guess maybe Legends get a slight advantage with green speeds (12 vs. 13). But whatever advantage that provides, it's negligible (IMO). 

Or are there some advantages that Legend tier players have over TL and above that I'm not seeing? That is possible.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 8:38 AM

JDGHOST:

So I then shifted focus over to the 3wood.. I wanted to max out (level 10) The "Max" Brand shirt

GAVE UP TRYING 😡😡😡

This is purely anecdotal so take it for what it is worth. When I first got to L9 with the Max shirt, I was wearing it along with the Max hat, Max glove, and Max shoes for appearance. When I was wearing that combination and playing in the coin rooms, it seemed like points for those items came up the majority of time while using Max for a sponsor. A similar thing happened to me when I was wearing C & M items. Perhaps someone else can verify if this helps or if it was merely coincidence. 

RSS