Forums

Help › Forums

Torrey pines has arrived

Tue, Jul 6 2021 1:49 AM (24 replies)
  • Cicero733
    2,298 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2021 6:34 PM

FWIW I have been playing around with hole #3. For now at least I am using a base yardage of 165 yds. For now I can get repeatable performance using that distance on full shots with my ball and club combo. Punch yardage appears to 3/4 BS 4 iron. 

• jacktrade51
    10,923 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2021 7:29 PM

el3n1:

interesting how an simple observation is interpreted as a complaint.  I didn't care so much during my round... I simply recognized a difference and tried to learn how to adjust.  that is how the game is played isn't it?

but, I can definitely foresee, people coming into the forum suggesting Torrey Pines steal balls - just as they did when WC came out.  it does not mean my observation of what is likely to happen with that particular hole is complaining about it, so much as forewarning to proceed with caution.

Your response to what I said is well taken.

As to #3, I have played 2x in VUSA and once today.  Hitting the green is a problem right now.  Hopefully we will get better as we play it more.

• carlosdev
    2,532 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2021 7:35 PM

Hole 3 (Medium Wind) TM Level 81 ball

10 Tail at 12 = 165 club FBS

Will land close to 2 ft or less

&

11 Head at 6 = 95% of 195 club FBS

Will land close to 2 ft or less

Now depending on clock, you can fiddle around spin with the same club.

This is how i play. Hope it make some sense :) :) Happy hitting!! 

- Carl 

• el3n1
    4,495 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2021 12:05 PM

Thanks for additional tips - Carl.

I was curious whether the other tee boxes with also play so different, and did a quick test off the TM or Hard tees with a promo ball (l26 Volvik) and my boosted irons from sponsor apparel and felt like the hard tees - played pretty much as expected.  I started without making any additional adjustments at all just to see how it would play - and got a heartbeat starting off  on first shot.  I could tweak the spin or power but test 3 different clubs and shot options just to make sure - and it remained pretty consistent.  

Since the showdowns tend to be off the hard tees - and we have a "rush" event coming up - this may be helpful to some.

• dschlapman
    71 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2021 3:34 PM

Yiannis1970:

el3n1:

you want to guess how many balls will be lost on hole 3 especially with a tailwind and left pin used in the qualifier?  given the hole plays off - I am guessing we will see a fair number of balls going over the cliff - just a guess though.  

68 down instead of 38.

+1

Thanks 68 instead of 38 was close, I may have to tweak it up to 71 though.

• protonc
    644 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2021 4:26 PM

I tweaked it up to 80 ft down, and this is the best option for me. Tested on head and tail wind and it worked!  Very helpful! Thank you very much!

Crazy it would be this off! 

• RobHon
    79 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2021 8:38 PM

+1

Thanks @el3n1, @Yiannis1970, @dschlapman

That works well for me. A 68 adjustment gets me 171 and that works well for my L97 iron, TM92 combination. I no longer go 30 feet past....

Interesting observation from @el3n1 about the forward tees not having this impact. Will try that and confirm.

Rob

• SamSpayed
    4,909 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2021 10:43 PM

Yiannis1970:
    68 down instead of 38.

+2

Put it 2 ft from the cup tonight using 68 for my calc.

Thanks, Yiannis!

• RobHon
    79 Posts
    Sun, Jul 4 2021 1:45 AM

I can also confirm the hard tee plays to it’s stated yardage. So it seems only the championship tee is way off. Odd but there we go!

RSS