Help › Forums

Wedges upgrade...

Thu, Dec 17 2020 11:47 AM (2 replies)
  • G1ler
    40 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2020 4:15 PM

Hi -

Advice, please!

I'm currently L88 Master and using the Titleist Vokeys (L76/L78/L80). They're great, but I'd appreciate some advice as to whether it's worth getting the MAX Meters (L89/90/91) on my way to the Callaway PM Grinds (endgame set).

I've checked the Pro Shop Tables and I'm tempted by the improved meter speed, but I'm confused by the fact that the MAX Meters are less 'precise' but more 'forgiving'. What does that even mean?! In your judgment, is it a worthwhile upgrade, or should I just hang on until the Cally set?

Thanks!

• ZirjoGondar
    94 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2020 6:38 PM

Keep the Vokeys.  They're much better than the MAX wedges.  The spin on the Vokeys makes all the difference.  Unless you just can't live with the meter speed, there's not much reason to ever change them.  They play slower than the 3.5 listed meter speed, btw; they should be listed at 4.0 IMO.  I kept the L78 and L80 Vokeys, and only changed the 100yd wedge to the Callaway L95.  The Cally L95 plays a little longer than the Vokey L76, and I get better results with it on full shots and punches.  I don't ever use the other shot types at those distances.

Higher precision = more consistency.  If you hit 10 shots exactly the same, you'll see 7 or 8 of those shots end up in exactly the same spot.  Clubs with lower precision might only see 5 or 6 of those 10 shots end up in the same spot.

Higher forgiveness will give you a better chance to hit your expected distance and line when you miss the ding.  Clubs with lower forgiveness will be shorter and wider of the mark when you miss the ding by the same amount.

• G1ler
    40 Posts
    Thu, Dec 17 2020 11:47 AM

Thank you - that's very helpful, although given my inability to ding the meter, I think I may need forgiveness more than precision!

RSS