Forums

Help › Forums

Topgolf is being bought out by Callaway Golf Wow

Wed, Jan 13 2021 9:20 AM (21 replies)
  • claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 12:35 PM

AlaskanDame:

No mention of WGT, but that’s not surprising.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/10/27/callaway-merges-topgolf/

Don't recall  which article I read but, that one did mention WGT.

@twinponds:  But do they really do enough repeat business to sustain over a long period of time?

Especially during this lockdown in some states. Makes one wonder how that deal will do over the next 12 months. 

• Gepetto1958
    4,227 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 12:54 PM
    HackWilson1930:

Callaway already had a 14% stake in Topgolf before the merger. This is all about money for expansion.

Here is what $10.75  will get you at the Topgolf  Columbus venue.(Fried chicken sandwich) And be sure to add a Topgolf Tea for another $10.75. This is where their profits come from, not WGT !

When bae get's out of the fryer looking like a snacc  📸 : @michaelandcasey_e...

...dégoûtant
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,506 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 2:10 PM

Gepetto1958:
    ...dégoûtant

Quoi?! J'étais en train de penser que ça devrait être crissement bon. Peut-être que j'habite du côté anglophone trop longtemps. LOL

By the way, $10-$14 per share of TopGolf?? Judging by the way they operate this game, it's definitely overvalued so I'm out. Also their business model is wrong from the start. Sure groups of (young) people come by, whack the balls for fun, chirp and laugh in elated mood... but will they visit the venue as often as serious devoted golfers do? I wouldn't certainly go to such a venue with that kind of ambiance to practise and focus on tuning my game.

Maybe I'd consider buying some shares if they start indoor screen golf business. It'd be big in Canada and Nordic nations where they've got the hell eternal winter. This way, they could sell and utilize more of WGT game, I don't know why they can't think of it. :-/ Well, it's their carrot so...

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 2:20 PM

It might be good, but not good for you! And it will be loaded with salt to encourage consuming too many of those expensive  Topgolf Teas. And after two, who cares where the golf balls fly.

• AlaskanDame
    18,984 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 4:14 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    y, $14 per share of TopGolf?? J
    . No, that is for a  share of Callaway, ticker ELY.  They have noted that many TopGolf users decide to try out real golf, and that has driven sales of real equipment.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 4:26 PM

JDGHOST:

I read were the online "Gaming" aspect of top golf was included in the deal??

Yes it was, actually referred to as World Golf Tour, a gaming company.   :-)

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,506 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 6:47 PM

AlaskanDame:

SimonTheBeetle:
    . No, that is for a  share of Callaway, ticker ELY.  They have noted that many TopGolf users decide to try out real golf, and that has driven sales of real equipment.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I went to see the stock price and now it's $15.42.

• ZAAR25
    312 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 7:17 PM

Hey , Ive got a great  idea . how about some new courses .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     pete

• AlaskanDame
    18,984 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2020 2:27 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

AlaskanDame:

SimonTheBeetle:

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I went to see the stock price and now it's $15.42.

And today, it is about $20.40, up 36% from my buy at under $15. Up 36% in less than a month.  I guess some people think it’s a good business model.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2020 3:20 PM

$20.40?

That'll be triggering some programs. Catch that on the ride back down.

;-)

RSS