Forums

Help › Forums

laggy game

Tue, Nov 24 2009 8:46 PM (7 replies)
  • h3llfir3
    3 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 3:59 PM

i have been playing this golf game for a while now and i have notice the more i play the more the game lags i know its not my computer because i build my computers and i just install a new vcard in the one that i use so i know now its not my computer its in the game it just mite help the game if you was how do i say this like restart the game maybe that will help. i dont know about the other players on the game but i think it will help.

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:07 PM

If you used ANY punctuation at all, it would sure make things easier to read.

As to your comment though, yes, the game seems to gain lag the more you play.

Maybe a memory leak? I'm not sure but my CPU usage also does go up the longer I play.

• Johniedino
    786 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:16 PM

I'm going to try more putting more RAM on mine. The reason I say that, I played on my sons comp. and he has twice the RAM I do and it went quite well on the meter.

J

• eric9
    2 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:14 PM

Yes I get that too. When I first started playing it would never lag and the more often I play the more it lags. I like -h3llfir3- believe its not my computer as I have a brand new computer which plays other "high end" games just fine. It would be nice to get in a game of golf without some lagging, although it doesn't lag enough to stop me from playing thats forsure!

• AdamTurner
    103 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 7:51 PM

Well how long are you playing the game? Are you sure it's the game lagging and not your senses? I know how addicting the game can be but let's dig a little deeper into what might be causing the lag...

1. Memory buffers do overflow with joy regardless of your hardware specs. There is only 1 tried and true method to guarantee that they get flushed...reboot. Now don't assume I mean after every game but every 5 games would noticeably enhance your experience.

2. The further I walk, the more tired my legs become. Your PC is no different. Heat is your processors biggest enemy and your PC could heat the room. Keep your PC cool and shut it off when you're not using it. Give your legs a rest.

3. So you're a multitasking maniac? That will effect the performance of your PC. Each application needs to request the attention of your processor in order to perform a task. You might have the greatest processor on the market, but getting its attention creates ripples that will certainly produce a noticeable twitch. Make sure your applications aren't downloading updates, your streaming radio station is closed, you're not running any backups, and set your multitasking aside until after the game. Devote your undivided attention to the game and your PC will return the favor.

4. Use a logical approach. 4 people out of a thousand reporting a lagging issue isn't enough evidence to support a probable cause. Don't jump on the bandwagon as a first response without first visiting the possibilities of the first 3 suggestions.

Happy golfing,

Adam

• AdamTurner
    103 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 8:05 PM

Johniedino:

I'm going to try more putting more RAM on mine. The reason I say that, I played on my sons comp. and he has twice the RAM I do and it went quite well on the meter.

J

Hi J,

That may be a false positive. More RAM does help only if you're bordering the minimum requirements. Programs will only use what they need and no more so don't empty your wallet at RadioShack thinking that 2 gigs of RAM will smooth out the meter. There are many other factors involved.

Adam

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 8:22 PM

Not trying to be a smart ass...just stating a point regarding your bandwagon comment.

TONS of people complain about the lag here, not 4 out of 1000. It's largely the biggest complaint about the game.

Almost every multiplayer game I have played here, there have been comments about meter lag. Allot of people also complain about "skipping" in the animations as the ball moves or the camera pans.

I know how to help them with the lag issues but the fixes only go so far.

I run a fairly fast machine  (3.0 gig Dual core Intel with a 768 bus) and I can tell you from experience that the game often eats up to 75% of my CPU. Not even Everquest, World of Warcraft or any other high end game I have played pulls that much CPU.

On a side note.....I have also noticed that when google analytics is pulling usage statistics from this games, it's slows down considerably. Anyone know what that's all about?

As far as your other comments, you're right on the mark however. PC heat so on and so on do make a big difference.

GD

• AdamTurner
    103 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 8:46 PM

Ok GoldDum,

I'll entertain your comment. I won't deny that it's an issue but I won't support a comment that it's unknown to WGT. They are well aware of it and have made several responses in the forums that they're constantly working to improve it. Obviously the more people that join, the more maintenance required. This is a necessary evil.

In response to your other gaming experiences, WoW and Everquest do not run inside your browser. More inward, the images (the biggest overhead) on your high end games are locally stored on your machine. The images from WGT are sent across the internet, rendered in your browser, and displayed out to you. This is why you'll see "Transferring data from psj-gs02.wgt.com" constantly updating during game play. It is an apples to oranges comparison at best.

As far as Google Analytics, the same concept applies. Transferring images, let me be more technical here....transferring byte streams across the internet is resource intense. To replicate it, get a free FTP site and download a free FTP client. Upload a large file and watch your CPU usage. Hopefully you don't blame the 80% usage on the FTP application.

Edit: I was a little off topic in the previous paragraph. What I meant to add about Google Analytics is that it's interfering with an already intense process further contributing to the lag.

In closing, if you're not fighting with the bottleneck, you're at the mercy of the routing tables. There is and will always be something in the way of perfection outside of your control.

Adam

RSS