Forums

Help › Forums

Which wedges to get as a beginner?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 23 2021 12:15 AM (20 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2021 11:57 AM

when dialed in (meaning mapped out) or at least learn how they play ... both types/ models of wedges will play very well... some prefer the 100 80 60 yardage gaps others prefer the 100 75 50 gap...

using the punch shot also offsets the yardage gaps... so, it can just depend on budget, comfort level and what line you think you may stick with... eventually the Callaway at the high end falls into the 100 75 yardages and you still have to opt another wedge to go with it... some choose the Titleist others the Max meter.

I went the budget line to start out and then stayed with the 100 75 50 distances because I was already comfortable with it...  Others play the old clevelends / titleist and opt to stick with those... but odds are... you will eventually replace which ever one's you buy now .. so... do you want to replace more expensive ones' or those more reasonably priced right now since you will still replace both down the road.  

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2021 10:35 PM

JuNiOr8820:
    Do you think the vokeys are far superior to the L30’s TM grinds?  Just from a cost perspective, I’m considering them.

Yes, they are far superior.  The low-level TM Milled Grinds are Med/High loft.  The Vokeys are High loft.  You want High loft around the greens.  MUCH better stopping power and control.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2021 8:53 AM

SamSpayed:
    they are far superior.

that sounds like an exaggeration... you will see some players hold onto their old AVG wedges because they liked them so much, including the one offered in the 30 levels... what matters is learning how to use those wedges..

you may be able to  argue the best wedges in the game are the PM Grind wedges, which even some loyalist Cleveland users began converting over too... but just putting them in your bag is not going to automatically lower your scores.  you have to learn how to execute shots.  

why would one of the games great players who earned well over 60K in earnings hold onto his inferior wedges?  he didn't stop playing because the wedges were inferior, but likely involved other factors. 

it is NOT simply the equipment but if you learn how to use it... 

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2021 9:31 AM

el3n1:

SamSpayed:
    they are far superior.

that sounds like an exaggeration... 

Nope... It is not an exaggeration.

Very good players can play well with anything, and it is true that knowing your equipment and playing well with it is crucial to success. However, it is no coincidence that 8 of the top 10 money makers this month all have the Cleveland/Vokey 64 degree in their bag. The other two went with options that play to 50 yards instead of 60 yards. That was just a random quick check that I did. I did not know the results before I looked. ...although I had my suspicions. I also guessed that the only exceptions would be 50 yard clubs. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2021 9:56 AM

while you are discussing wedges in the upper end game range of clubs ... my comments were addressing the comparison of wedges in the introductory range for each set... some of the now Titleist are offered in the 20's levels whereas the TM are in the level 30/40/s  for about half the cost. 

and I find it hard to imagine the Titleist that you are spending twice as much on are going to really out play the TM wedges which are a far better value for the credits spent and will also likely be replaced by most players.

in each case, they are temporary purchases... and you see players that do well with both sets, so I fail to see how one introductory set is qualitatively better especially when the cost is factored in. 

It may become more bias or preference even at the higher levels, but I won't necessarily  say either is qualitatively better than the other, especially since the PM Grind wedges were introduced and cloud the discussion further at the higher levels.

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2021 10:15 AM

el3n1:

while you are discussing wedges in the upper end game range of clubs ... my comments were addressing the comparison of wedges in the introductory range for each set... some of the now Titleist are offered in the 20's levels whereas the TM are in the level 30/40/s  for about half the cost. 

You are right. I was talking about top end. I have never played any of the middle range wedges, so any comments I make on them is speculation. I started with the bottom end Cleveland for the sake of price, and I stuck with them until the top end became available to me. The bottom end wedges were by far the best clubs in my bag, but were nothing like the top end wedges. The 64 degree with chip, pitch, flop and punch played completely different than top end wedges. (and not in a good way)

I think the specs tell the story. Whether "paying more for a better club and is it enough better to be worth it", is up to the individual. For a 64 degree (which in my opinion is the most crucial club to improving scoring) I would guess that the L52 Max with 5.0 spin and high loft would be a fantastic club. Spin is crucial for saving from difficult situations. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2021 10:37 AM

BPeterson8256:
    For a 64 degree (which in my opinion is the most crucial club to improving scoring)  ... Spin is crucial for saving from difficult situations. 

I agree and I would also fall in line with recommending buying a wedge or two versus buying a driver first, which almost everyone assumes should be the first purchase.

In the beginning stages, we all miss too many greens so it is getting up and down to save par or avoid giving strokes away that helps manage a round.

---My thoughts on the Max spin, would likely vary depending on ball choice... I played a SOTW event with it, where I felt I needed a slightly better ball for the irons - but a good ball with that wedge - was a TON of spin - you had to be very careful with it and I even had a flop shot spin back about 3y... caught me off guard.

So even that wedge, would take some finesse and mapping around the green to learn to use well as it could cost you a stroke if you spin it off the green versus sticking it right around the hole - but it should play rather well with a rock ball .

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2021 11:31 AM

HackWilson1930:
    Your ultimate goal should be to get to level 76 for your first opportunity to purchase a "forever" wedge, the Titleist  56* . 

The new Callaway PM grind 56 is in my opinion better than the Vokey 56.It has a little more precision , more forgiveness and a slower meter, After having the Cleveland version for years I switched to the Callaway PM grind a few months back and I am very pleased with the results, I also switched to the Callaway 60 degree and I am pleased with it as well even if it is rated at 75 yards instead of 80 like the Cleveland and Vokey 60 degree, A tad of topspin takes care of the lost 5 yards, 

• JuNiOr8820
    9 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2021 1:43 PM

I do not have access to the higher level Vokey’s yet.  Im only L57 at the moment.  I know my short game is lacking and I keep fighting off the urge to upgrade too soon.  I do not have access to an unlimited budget so I agree with the notion to selectively upgrade as few times as possible. The pm grinds are the most consistent with my current meter speeds but would need to supplement another wedge for shorter distances.  The Vokey’s meter is similar as well.  Is the consensus to wait until L76 for a forever wedge due to my current level?  

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sun, Feb 14 2021 11:44 PM

JuNiOr8820:

I do not have access to the higher level Vokey’s yet.  Im only L57 at the moment.  I know my short game is lacking and I keep fighting off the urge to upgrade too soon.  I do not have access to an unlimited budget so I agree with the notion to selectively upgrade as few times as possible. The pm grinds are the most consistent with my current meter speeds but would need to supplement another wedge for shorter distances.  The Vokey’s meter is similar as well.  Is the consensus to wait until L76 for a forever wedge due to my current level?  

If it were me I would buy the best wedges as soon as you can at the level you are , but carry on doing videos , surveys, offers etc to build up free credits ready to upgrade as you progress higher up the levels.

RSS