Forums

Help › Forums

Weekly Multi-Round Open exclusions

Mon, Nov 23 2009 4:40 PM (51 replies)
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 3:51 AM

CT has a state lottery.  Wouldn't you call that a form of gambling. Thus it costs an individual a couple of bucks for a ticket depending on which game he/she is playing.  You could call that an entry fee.  A little stretch of the application but it would apply.  Makes you think, doesn't it.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:00 AM
    Sorry, but I´m a bit lost. Where did Tibbets find this... KIAWAH ISLAND: THE OCEAN COURSE Play a two-round stroke play tournament on The Ocean Course. Limited to the first 50 entrants, top players get WGT credits. Open to the US only, except Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Montana, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Vermont and when is it starting?
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:07 AM

It's here: http://www.wgt.com/tournaments/details.aspx?ID=e1af4593-4956-454f-82ea-9cc701884ac2

(Link from the Calendar page.)

As to tournament start, does this mean folks in the selected states will need to stay up until midnight (West Coast time) tonight, and the first 50 who click the mouse button get to play in that tourney?

Kind of funny, the whole idea. Why not let everyone play, and make a cut after 2 rounds? Wouldn't WGT collect a lot more credits that way, which would also allow them to increase the payout to winners?

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:33 AM

I just did my longest post ever (which was a rant about the recent failings of WGT), and it didn't post, deleting all of what I just wrote! However, I shall try again (although a bit shorter than last time)...

Even though I don't play weekly or monthly tourneys any more, I am getting annoyed at WGT for what has happened lately.

First, there was the falling pots for the weekly and monthly tourneys. However, everyone no longer minded when it seems that the money would go towards multi-rounds tourneys or as prize money for awards.

Then, there was 'Match play challenges'. Great idea, but only for the lucky few that are good enough, and rich enough to play it. I am neither of the above, and I bet most of the WGT population aren't either. I have no credit, and NEVER will seeing as I'm not planning to deposit money any time soon.

Finally, the multi-round tourneys. Another great idea, poorly thought out. First, they make it a paid tourney (again, ruling out all but the rich and the best), and then completely forgot what their name was, and made it USA only. Then, just to make it even worse, they ban 14 of the 50 US states, including Tibbets' state. Well done there WGT for banning your best and most famous player. Finally, only 50 people are allowed to enter, which, if WGT has 500K players which was stated in the forums earlier today, accounts for all of 0.01% of the WGT population. 

Sorry for the rant people, but WGT really need to get back into reality, or it was lose all of it's great player and members of the community to it's main rival, TWO.

• paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:36 AM

Why is the new multi-round US Only? Are our credits not good enough - or are we only allowed to spend them on over priced multi coloured golf balls.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 6:03 AM

The fact that it is restricted just to americans (and not all even all of them) comes as no suprise to me. We will probably get a WGT employee over the next few days come along and tell us that they are searching in other countries laws to see if they can include any more. As for the excluded states of America... if you´re excluded it means they´ve already looked up your laws and it means, unfortunately, you will probably never get to play in these tournaments.

What worries me most is what EllisSpice was saying: the game is turning into a game for the rich and the best.  And the rich and the best don´t represent a very high percentage of the population, WGT. You just have to look at the number of Match Play Challenges that have been played. I have been very fortunate and managed to play ONE and I know friends who are still trying to play their first challenge.

I know you have to make some money out of this, but everything has a price, and I think the price you are setting for playing a golf game on a computer is, at the moment, too high.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 9:11 AM

All the frustrations and concerns in the above comments are quite valid.  Thanks to all for speaking up.

Here is a puzzling issue for me:  In my case, I haven't bought any of these credits that I have, they were given to me by WGT for participation in other tournaments.  These credits are not redeemable for actual money, so the only place they have any value is at WGT itself.  Since they were given to me by WGT, how is it I could be ineligible to use those credits at WGT?  

If you come over to my house and I give you 10 strips of white paper for coming over and call them 'credits', and we play a game of chess and 'wager' with these strips of paper, that wouldn't be illegal.  I see the credits given to me by WGT akin to strips of paper:  They aren't real or redeemable money.  All I can do is use them in this game, which apparently has suddenly become conditional.

• AdamTurner
    103 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 9:48 AM

Because they awarded them to you is irrelevant. The fact that you can buy them with cash is very relevant. If you sold me white paper to gamble with at your house, we are now gambling illegally.

My guess is that WGT has plans to someday soon have the option to cut a check for credits.

I'm no lawyer but I've learned over time that splitting hairs with legalities without counsel is a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure there's good reason. Good luck finding it.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 10:06 AM

"Good luck finding it"

Wouldn´t need luck if somebody from WGT could come and tell us... ahem... please... ahem... Alex...

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 10:19 AM

Will probably have to wait until Monday or after for the answers.

RSS