Forums

Help › Forums

The Laser Guided Putter

Tue, Nov 24 2009 4:05 PM (8 replies)
  • kcrjm
    1 Posts
    Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:36 PM

Now I know this is going to sound a little out of left field to all you avid gamers out there but I have people asking me all the time how I putt so good so here it goes:

First - I dont waste my time trying to aim perfectly , in fact I very rarely take the aim off the center of the hole. Instead i use not being able to hit the meter dead center to my advantage.

If you try to get the distance right then you will be ahead of the game. I stop just shy of what i think the distance is and my secret weapon is clicking  the meter right or left of dead center to push the ball left or right . everyone knows that if you aim and then miss the spot on the meter you will be putting again for sure so give this a whirl. You will be amazed how it works .

Hint :: im guessing that on a normal hole on the Island  requires you stopping the meter left or right of the center about 1/4 inch  .....   just remember you must judge the power correctly ..    I hope this helps

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 19 2009 11:21 PM

All fine and well. It's just that I wouldn't call a putting average per hole of 1.82 "laser-guided", or I'd sell back the laser, that's all.    My putting average needs to be closer to 1.50 than to 2.00 if I want to score a good round.

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:56 AM

You still have to nail the shot left or right of center though? Isnt that tougher than just hitting center every time? I find im putting way better since reading the many forum posts on the subject. Has actually become my favorite part of the game.

If you want to be a better putter - read the forum (nivlac's guide is best place to start) and dont drink too many beers :)

• lightduty
    3 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 4:17 PM
    I use the same method as I find it helps me... Left or right of center and I very rarely aim with the mouse when putting.
  • Kosei82
    144 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 4:39 PM

The best way ive figured out is a little mixture of both..move the cursor to help guide and miss mark on bigger breaks ... very slight breaks just try to hit square and put cursor according to break ..and inbetween just use the meter..sometimes it helps to add a foot or so when missing meter alot bc it takes off some distance 

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 7:54 PM

I play that way myself. I let gravity, and the wind do all the work. Playing this way takes a lot of preciseness away from the shot. Hitting square every time is tough. I would imagine most people hit square about 60% of the time, maybe a little more then that.

Now that I got these new Rapture pro+ clubs, and a new Redwood putter, which are more forgiving, I'll be able to land closer to the pin, and sink more putts without hitting square. Hopefully. Playing the game in this style, we only have to hit the meter square, 20% of the time, or less. 

We'll see how it goes.

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 2:56 AM

Hitting the meter dead center is tough yes but its made a lot easier by learning the distances on your putter. Don't use a 30 ft scale for a 26 ft putt, use a higher sale and drag the meter a shorter distance as this makes the meter easier to stop on center. You should practice putts so that you can hit every one no more than 2 ft past the cup in any green condition and irrespective of up/downhill lie.

This comes with practice and is one of the hardest things to get good at. Once you achieve this control you can then start to trust your reading of the break and most importantly understand your misses. In almost all putts under 30 ft I know why ive missed and its usually cos ive missed hitting center, when i hit center its usually going in.

Most important thing is distance control and learning the way standard/fast greens affect this. Which I think is the first thing nivlac touches on in his excellent tutorial.

I just dont see how not hitting center can give the precision that is needed to putt consistently especially given that doing that affects distance control as well.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:27 AM

Spacklero:
    Don't use a 30 ft scale for a 26 ft putt, use a higher sale and drag the meter a shorter distance as this makes the meter easier to stop on center.

This is it in a nutshell-use your larger scales more than you are. The Redwood has 5 scales, 15 30 45 90 150. I use the 45 , 90 and 150 ft scales 90% of the time with the 15 ft scale for tap-ins. (I don't think I've ever used the 30.)

Using the larger scales lets you take a very short backswing and you're less likely to encounter meter problems. The ding is much easier to hit and the putt rolls truer. If you decide to try it this way it is crucial you use the putter movement method for distance. Nivlac's tutorial explains this method. GL

YJ

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 4:05 PM

I agree with the method you are using, but I also have to agree with Faterson.  That average isn't much to gloat about.

RSS