Forums

Help › Forums

My experiences after playing one round on Steam

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 16 2020 10:26 AM (6 replies)
  • Drommens83
    178 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 9:09 AM

I am an experienced player of WGT. Been around since 2010. I've played both on desktop and on mobile, and I must say that this is the absolute worst of both platforms. A lot of work will have to be done to make me change from the flash version of WGT to what they put up on Steam. I definitely hope that Topgolf will not force us to change platforms before they've thoroughly upgraded the playing experience in the Steam version. (I say this because I've spent quite some money on WGT over the years and I will not accept being forced into using a lesser version of an otherwise fine and enjoyable game.)

Things I encountered in my first rounds:

- the resolution is awful

- I don't like the fact that I am getting all that nonsense from the mobile app, I am not interested in the coins and the boxes. Is there any way to turn all that off?

- the menu hides vital game options that I am used to as a computer player

- advanced country club options are not easily accessible (very important to me)

- the user interface during gameplay is clumsy, not intuitive at all

- the ball seems to hover above the surface on the green

- the meter responds in a weird way. I was early on the meter at literally every shot. It seems to slow down halfway through

- the chat function is either hidden, or it takes up the entire screen, should be a 50% transparent box in the corner, like in the flash version

I am not one to play for 5 minutes and trash a game, but this in this state, the is unplayable for me. I know it is still early access, but I will not return for a while. I'll wait for some major updated before I touch this again.

• Dex000
    109 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 9:27 AM

I thought the same things at first, but you can ignore the coins and the apparel garbage pretty easily. If you decide to keep playing, you'll get used to the rest... It took a few weeks for me, but now I like this new version better the flash version.

• Drommens83
    178 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 9:40 AM

I do like that the avatar moves more fluently. However, the physics seem different from what I am used to in the flash version. Very confusing. 

• protonc
    644 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 4:59 AM

Drommens83:
    - I don't like the fact that I am getting all that nonsense from the mobile app, I am not interested in the coins and the boxes. Is there any way to turn all that off?

I'm fine with the coin games, but do wish there was an option to turn off all the award packs.  I asked something similar, and called it Classic with an on/off selection.  Here:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/627830.aspx

Drommens83:
    the chat function is either hidden, or it takes up the entire screen, should be a 50% transparent box in the corner, like in the flash version

Agreed, chat on the flash version is better!

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 5:42 AM

Unless you are using a good computer Steam is not for you.Playing the Early Access at Steam is the same game as the PC/Mac Early version, there is no difference and the game runs just fine for me on my Mac.

• Drommens83
    178 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2020 9:52 AM

Tigerpaw509:

Unless you are using a good computer Steam is not for you.Playing the Early Access at Steam is the same game as the PC/Mac Early version, there is no difference and the game runs just fine for me on my Mac.

Luckily, my computer is fine. I've had to dive into the setting of the game to get it working properly (something you would expect by default). So it is running fine now. But I am still a bit disappointed by the graphics. And the game physics are a bit weird at times. It seems like the greens are less predictable than in the flash version of the game.

Also, is there a way to get environmental sounds in the steam/mac version of the game? It's awfully quiet. 

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2020 10:26 AM

Agreed there are a lot of things missing and the short putting is just terrible but....and I hope this isn't their almost final working game.

Just go into settings and disable the sounds you don't like just as you can on the flash version.

RSS