Forums

Help › Forums

How is your average calculated?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:14 PM (6 replies)
  • mpgAAAA
    25 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2009 7:48 PM

How is your average calculated?  I assume it takes the last x rounds and averages them but what is x?

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2009 8:03 PM

I read somewhere that they take your best 10 rounds out of the last 14.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2009 8:44 PM

Under FAQ's on the right!  http://wgt.com/help.aspx

What is my Average Score?

Your Average Score is the weighted average of your ten best out of your last fourteen stroke play scores (Practice rounds are not included). Your most recent scores are weighted more heavily to ensure there is no "sandbagging".

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 3:20 PM

One note.....Closest to the hole comps and match play do not count towards your average therefore do not effect tier advancement. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 4:26 PM

I think Mocha has the answer as close as it can get. WGT does the calculation for each of us, and all we have to do is play and post our scores. Nevertheless, if one selects any player by random, regardless of tier, and  checks their stats, they will find that perhaps 90% or more of the players tested will have a score average lower than their best ever 18 hole score. As it is said, "figures don't lie, but liers always figure." But it is all good, all for fun, and anyone is free to create whatever they desire. So it seems.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:00 PM

SweetiePie:
    Nevertheless, if one selects any player by random, regardless of tier, and  checks their stats, they will find that perhaps 90% or more of the players tested will have a score average lower than their best ever 18 hole score.

You may already be aware of it, but that is due to the fact that 9-hole and 18-hole rounds both count as one round.  It's pretty safe to say that's it easier to shoot well over 9 holes than it is over 18.  Players will record repeated rounds on Kiawah's Back 9 and will post 28's, 29's and 30's despite the fact that the best they can muster on the front side is a 34.

And of course, this is just one of the many reasons why a player's average should be taken with a grain of salt.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:14 PM

Nivlac=calvin, I love that, I respect your comment and agree completely.

RSS