Forums

Help › Forums

Impossible wind calcualtion

Mon, Mar 9 2020 2:03 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JLetson1
    4 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 7:18 AM

Playing Best of Bandon, hole #2, 136yds from tee, elev drop 21ft, net yardage around 128yds. Dead 6 0'clock headwind at 23mph, calculate needed distance around 144yds. Hit 8 iron, 145yds, no spin, ball carries 144 yards and lands 42 feet (14 yards) past the pin. WTF. How can you possibly account for that? Any tips, ideas, etc.  

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 8:55 AM

From what I can see, you should have been closer, but you didn't say what the green speed was, for roll out.  With the equipment I use, I would have used a punch shot, at about 140, with 20% backspin.  But, of course, wgt does what they want,  I played the other night, on the tee 30 mph x winds left to right, both my opponent and I aimed way left, we were within 3 yards of each other, in the deep crap way left,  ball didnt move an inch off line from my aiming point, went right where I aimed it, happened to both of us.   So wind didn't blow, 2 ND shot I aimed about 6 feet left of pin ( compensate for green slope )   and as u can guess,  my ball went so far right, ob.  that was my last titleist ball, and will remain my last, as I will not purchase any more of them.  

Today, I played a ctth,  I was 74 yards out, head wind 4 to 6 mph,  hit a punch shot 74 yards,  the ball went 60 yards, right into the center of a sand trap,  all I can do is laugh,  I got my daily bonus count, and then I quit, I'll play another gamto not wgt, for rest of the day.  Until wgt figures out they are losing players interest, they will lose revenue.  

good luck to you,  

• garyk49
    2,317 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 10:07 AM

I am willing to bet both of the situations above are with the flash version.  I have noticed more wind variables on the flash version since the advent of the PCEA.

Others may say I am wrong, but it is what I have noticed.

To OP, my calculated yardage would have been 137.  But with my irons, I would have played 144 with full backspin, so 96% of my 150.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 10:14 AM

Sorry to say, I play mobile.  

• garyk49
    2,317 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 10:51 AM
    Luckystar5:

Sorry to say, I play mobile.  

No need to be sorry, the point being I have noticed the winds not right with the flash version lately(more so then usual), but the PCEA version seems to be pretty accurate.
  • lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 1:31 PM

You have to also remember that the wind is a guessing game . Even though the indicator may show that the wind is blowing it may not be . That has always been a problem since we cant feel the wind when playing . So some shots will play long some short and others true as indicated .

• 1irony
    415 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 3:29 PM

Based off my calculations, I would have only expected that shot to have traveled 10 yards long. Therefore, because it went 14 yards long, I think we should file a class-action lawsuit against WGT because the wind took a little coffee break and affected the ball 4 yards less than it should have. 

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

• el3n1
    4,495 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 3:50 PM

a ball hit flat as opposed to with BS will have a different wind effect.  not saying something may not have been off... I don't carry your clubs and I don't have notes on them... 

but I do believe the best players typically know or chart the Wind effect for various levels of spin between FLAT and FBS....  If you don't make that adjustment in the power or spin setting it can double the amount of variance you observe in a shot, which can cause shots to come up way short or way long...

To save cost during mapping.. you can usually just map flat and FBS and often get an average for any spin setting in between or play it by feel a bit.  If you are okay with just getting close enough... but if you want to throw darts... then I think the best players map out the details... which is why they are also the best players. 

There could easily be 6y of difference in Wind effect so if your yardage calculation was for FBS and you hit a shot flat not making the adjustment for the distance and change in Wind effect it could easily go longer especially down hill.  

That is my guess without playing your club / ball combo though. 

You could easily set up  a play one hole game and try to get that same shot and hit it both ways again... to see if the shot was just wacky variance or if it lines up with changes in how the ball plays given the spin you didn't apply off the tee.  

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,525 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 4:55 PM

JLetson1:

Playing Best of Bandon, hole #2, 136yds from tee, elev drop 21ft, net yardage around 128yds. Dead 6 0'clock headwind at 23mph, calculate needed distance around 144yds. Hit 8 iron, 145yds, no spin, ball carries 144 yards and lands 42 feet (14 yards) past the pin. WTF. How can you possibly account for that? Any tips, ideas, etc.  

No spin??!! It's been centuries that I haven't played a 145Y 8I but according to my calculation, I'd have played 8I giving 3/4 BS and the chance is like it'd be somewhat short considering it's a dead headwind.

It also largely depends on the ball you play with. My calculation is based on with a ball D5.0 / S4.0.

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Thu, Mar 5 2020 6:47 AM

Well my calculation would have been 146 for that shot, so I would have been further away than you lol.

I think it's a bug with the game, every so often the wind fails to blow. It's not often but it is very annoying when it happens especially if it costs a ball.

BTW was it off the back of the green because a wind failure and the elevation drop should have taken in over 150 unless it hit rough.

Edit: re-read post 14 yards past pin is 150yds, so yes it's wind failure.

Edit 2: Luckystars, that is exactly the result you would get if you hit your 60 degree wedge thinking it was your 56 degree, and yes I have too much time on my hands lol,

• PAGES
RSS