Forums

Help › Forums

Elevated Greens

Sun, Feb 23 2020 3:25 AM (22 replies)
  • JakeDrollinger
    36 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 8:07 PM

Aren't we taking a lot of fun out of the game when we break it down to a science like that? lol. Seriously, though, does anyone play the real game of golf? The I haven't actually played in quite a few years, due to a brain injury, but if I remember correctly, it was mostly a  guessing game, and putting the club on the ball squarely. Just a little food for thought. Don't want to throw a wrench into a  legit discussion. 😀

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 4:29 AM

All great advice, and I'm reluctant to throw my 2 cents out with your avg and tier a notch above mine.

Obviously note taking and club mapping are key. The basic rule of thumb is uphill divide the elevation by 3 and add to the distance. This will get you in the ball park. Downhill, divide the drop elevation by 4 and subtract from the distance. Can't go wrong with the downhill formula.

Right, wrong or indifferent, here is my formula for uphill shots. It gets me closer than dividing by three, and since using this formula my "Avg. Distance to the Pin" has dropped below 11', and I'm starting to suffer from "hitting the pin ricochet syndrome". 

Elevation divided by the distance. The percentage you get is then subtracted from half the elevation. Add that to the distance. Aim and ding the meter. This formula is only good for half backspin and no backspin with wedges!

Edit: This formula works with my ball/club combination, but could be a decent starting point for you if you are interested in changing up a few things.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 9:34 AM

JakeDrollinger:

Aren't we taking a lot of fun out of the game when we break it down to a science like that? lol. Seriously, though, does anyone play the real game of golf? The I haven't actually played in quite a few years, due to a brain injury, but if I remember correctly, it was mostly a  guessing game, and putting the club on the ball squarely. Just a little food for thought. Don't want to throw a wrench into a  legit discussion. 😀

I hear you Jake, and you are not throwing in a wrench. You bring in a valid point from how you see it. Nothing against your style of play, but your stats suggest that you do indeed only play for fun, and good for you.

Also, like IRL, some on here play for fun and some to compete. If you think that the elite golfers in the PGA guess at their shots you are mistaken. They do indeed have most of their shots down to the science.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 12:18 PM

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 12:38 PM

johnniemo:
    Elevated greens make the ball come in flatter than a green at the same or lower elevation. Thus the roll out is considerably greater

This is exactly right and what it does is compromise any back spin you use. Basically, the shot arc is interrupted before it reachs full carry and comes in hot. BPB5 back tee is a good example, it's very hard to stick an approach (without wind help) because that green is so high up. Everything you throw up there rolls.

I like to max a club in situations like that. In other words, allow yourself a full swing without worrying about flying a pin, let it roll up. Worst case scenario you wind up with a decent, uphill putt, under the hole.  :-)

p.s., @Jake-While it might seem like it's a little over the top to get so technical, it's how the pro's attack the game. You and I would probably have the same kind of RL round-laughing a lot and hacking away-but they don't. You have guys out there that can center a specific groove in their iron on the center of the ball they're so scientific.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:03 PM

Deleted. 

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:08 PM

TopShelf2010:

Tony08888:
    Nothing against your style of play, but your stats suggest that you do indeed only play for fun

This comment is totally uncalled for.

Since have you pretty much replied to a majority of the threads the last few days, surely you recall reading about Jake.

Don

I haven’t been active on the forum for a good while. All of my replies on the board are just from this morning, so no, I haven’t read anything about Jake. My bad, I obviously missed something important.

My apologies Jake.

I see now why all of my other posts from this morning are being brow beaten.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:21 PM
    2 sleeves of Cally 33’s in your inbox Jake
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:24 PM

@Tony08888

Well done! Truly, a very classy gesture on your part. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:37 PM

RSS