Forums

Help › Forums

Slope matter for average score?

Fri, Nov 6 2009 2:53 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CalebWoods
    10 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:10 PM

Do rounds at both course count the same? Bethpage is like 4-5 strokes harder so I was wondering if there is some kind of a slope calculation in your average.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:17 PM

Not that I'm aware of Caleb.But as far as BPB being harder I really dont think it is.It just takes a little bit more of what the game calls for. Concentration and Precision.When these two things are applied to either course you will get a better result from each.I will admit The Ocean Course seems to be more forgiving on the loose shots that are splattered just anywhere,but when the two afore mentioned  attributes are applied to both, they will play fairly even.

Larry

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:27 PM

I have never seen evidence of anything but total strokes taken being used to determine averages.  If there are other factors in play, it is very slight.  And unlike a true handicap index, all scores are used to determine our scoring average, with no weight given for tournament rounds, which tees are used and no adjustment for incomplete rounds.  Not sure that was helpful, but it is what it is.

Welcome!

Joey 

• CalebWoods
    10 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I consistently have more problems at BPB on the Pro level. I normally shoot around a 70 on Kiawah and a 76 on BPB. I think the greens are easier to putt on at BPB, but I'm loosing my 6 strokes on the holes with elevated greens; I can't hold them and usually end up in trouble. My GIR on Kiawah is like 65-70% and BPB is down to like 30-40% which makes all the difference. 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:39 AM

I see you're still using starter balls. Using high-spin balls, such as Tour SD, really helps sticking to the greens when approaching those elevated greens on Bethpage Black.

• CalebWoods
    10 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:11 AM

I'll give that a try. I was hoping my new TM tour irons would do the trick, but haven't made much of a difference. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:13 AM

Hi Caleb..As usual, Mr. Faterson is very correct with his advise concerning the use of the Tour SD balls. You can hit them a mile and they stop on a dime. They do come with a few issues: they are expensive, they wear out fast and they create a second addiction next to playing this game.

• CalebWoods
    10 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:50 AM

I think I'm losing more stroke than anything with my putting. my stats are awful. granted some of that is when i was as hack, but I'm just not making much of anything over 10 feet. i have no feel.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:33 AM

The answer to that is getting the Redwood putter. It's a lot more precise, especially for long-range putts, than the Spyder putter you are currently using.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:49 PM

Faterson:

The answer to that is getting the Redwood putter. It's a lot more precise, especially for long-range putts, than the Spyder putter you are currently using.

After what i seen the other day with Coolswings putting, i'm not so sure about the putters. He uses the starter putter,  and i can say his putting is quite phenominal with the starter putter. So i am lead to believe its the human aspect off it and not so much the putter.

• PAGES
RSS