Forums

Help › Forums

what is vem and what does it do?

Fri, Nov 4 2022 11:11 AM (26 replies)
  • russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 3:49 PM

Hi i've read posts in the forum b4,and noticed ppl talking about vem.Could someonr explain to me what it is and how it works,as my take on it,is that it's a wgt programme that it throws a curve ball into ure game if ure playing and scoring well.So if any one can shed some light on this i would be greatful

cheers

RUSTY

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 4:08 PM

VEM is a program built into this game to simulate the natural deviations in golf. Since this is a computer based game as with anything it is based on math and algorithmic formulas. To create the natural deviations that are in real golf such as moving your head to early, not following through with your swing, etc...

There is no rhyme or reason to it, it is just an inherent part of the game.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 4:23 PM

SGTBilko:

VEM is a program built into this game to simulate the natural deviations in golf. Since this is a computer based game as with anything it is based on math and algorithmic formulas. To create the natural deviations that are in real golf such as moving your head to early, not following through with your swing, etc...

There is no rhyme or reason to it, it is just an inherent part of the game.

Sort of......

Vem (virtual equipment model) is a patent that is held by WGT.

Basically the better you get the harder the game gets. WGT has stated that they do not use it at this time. (I am too lazy to dig up the post at this time). They may or may not, I have no opinion on the matter.

Most people when they refer to VEM or The Beast, mean THIS

It is what precision means in clubs. 

Happy hitting

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 4:32 PM

Hi Rusty, Sarge's reply can give you a brief with layman's language on the characteristics of VEM (Virtual Equipment Model)....which you can goggle and get an indepth definition.

However, after hours of exhausting study on exactly how, when, why or where the VEM theory has a direct impact on this game is a great mystery not only to me but to many who have played this game for some time.

That being said I have come to the conclusion that "VEM"....whether real or imaginary can only mean one thing........Very Emotional Madness 

cheers

DAVID

• PRIESTESS
    10,697 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 4:48 PM

Bottom line is that no club has a precision  rating of 100 percent as a result that club will deviate.The lesser precision rating the club the more it will randomly deviate,

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 6:33 PM

Vem makes you twitchy and emotional and I understand it is responsible for many dead mice. ie: mouse. There seems to be 3 lines of thought on THE DREADED VEM.

1 It exists and causes frustration.

2 It's a fantasy, doesn't exist.

3 Who cares, hit the ball.

• Kurtsbuford
    7,592 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 6:40 PM

it equates to being bitten by a venomous(vem abbr.) snake while in the process of ball striking, when it happens, leave immediately and seek help.   Beers are the best anti-venom.

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 7:08 PM

• Cleworthy
    3,464 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2011 7:19 AM

Soulcatcher, thanks for sharing.  The link on VEM http://wgt.com/forums/p/14040/86933.aspx#86933 was very enlightening.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2011 7:58 AM

Or could VEM just be a theory to hide the inconsistencies or bad game physics that appear due to wind not effecting ball, club yardages wrong for the particular club used etc etc.

RSS