Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 8:37 AM

I calculate to hit 2 feet past the hole.  The formula I use is 'simply' (D+2)*V+E=N.  I use % of scale rather than a distance figure though so to get that I go with (N/S)*100.  I also add 1% for every 5 inches down in elevation and -1% for every 5 inches up.

D=Distance(Starting), V=Variable(green speed), E=elevation, N=New Distance, S=Scale Max Number.

An Excel formula makes it a lot quicker to work out than it looks.  I used to just have set green variables for speed names but since moving to the stimpmeter number display, that variable is now much more accurate.

If anyone wants a copy of my spreadsheet or just the variable numbers I use, please send me a message.

• SammyTee
    1,124 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 9:17 AM

I am SammyTee and your spreadsheet sounds very interesting. May I please have a copy? And please explain the Variable (green speed). Where do you find that number?

Thank you in advance!

Sam

• hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 11:03 AM

?? dont you mean add 1% for every 5 inches UP? and subtract 1% for every 5 inches DOWN? 

• PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 11:54 AM

hatcojack:

?? dont you mean add 1% for every 5 inches UP? and subtract 1% for every 5 inches DOWN? 

No, uphillers tend to run further than expected and vice versa.

• localbistro
    237 Posts
    Mon, Oct 13 2014 5:14 AM

hello PT  can you send me your spreadsheet please?

thank you

Andrea

avolpi11@gmail.com

• mgolfer2
    65 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 2:43 AM

Thanks for the wonderful instruction, Nivlac.

• harryjkorber
    12 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 11:01 AM

I would like a comp of you're spreadsheet.

Thanks

Harry

• PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 11:57 AM

Send me your email and I send over a copy.

• Partsman41953
    341 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 5:00 AM

Hello all, 

My problem is not distance control it is trying to find the right line to start the putt off on. I use the Daytona putter and I am having a really difficult time lining up putts. I see some people use the chipping method to line up a putt to see the break but I do not see how that works. I also see that some people ding or do not ding the putt and so forth. 

I know that I need to try to get my approach shots closer in order to make more putts but if you miss putts under 5' what good is getting approach shots closer if you are just going to miss it anyway. I know there is a better chance of making a closer putt but at this point I really need so advice on what to practice as I have no clue right now. 

Thanks in advance!!

Glenn

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 7:45 AM

Partsman41953:

Hello all, 

My problem is not distance control it is trying to find the right line to start the putt off on. I use the Daytona putter and I am having a really difficult time lining up putts. 

Glenn

ok distance might be the primary factor but you say you have that pretty good.

In a nutshell, the way I got better was to take note of my results. Here is my thought process:

'The putt is short and the dots aren't moving a lot, my putt held the line and missed = adj. my aim less off the hole"

"The putt is short and the dots are moving very fast, I aimed off hole, but the ball hit the slope and curved away - adj. aim a little more next time'

'The putt is very long and the dots are moving at moderate speed, I adj. aim, etc. the ball broke a little too far and curved and just missed the hole - adj. aim a little more for the break on a longer putt'

Then, by trial and error you get the idea. Does this help any? 

Camera angles are very important. That's a whole other can of worms.

RSS