Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 7:44 PM

I'm with Bollox & Higher here....  the greens DO break more than before. I've found myself leaving a lot more putts short due the "fear factor" of the quicker green .... afraid to hit it stiff b/c you'll leave a lot of work coming back if you miss, so you try to finesse the putt.  Your 9 foot breaking putt will break more now, b/c you aren't hitting a 9 foot putt the same anymore. I don't know if that really makes sense, but it's how i see it.  Before, for a 9 footer, i would hit 10-11 feet ... now, i hit maybe 8 ... that's a big difference in ball speed, leading to more break.

Jeff

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 8:22 PM

I been wanting to do that since the first swing 8 bays ago...I think I will now...I wouldn't exactly call it cheating... I would say it is an easy fix to a complicated problem...Once you get the speed down then reading the break will be easy...It's kind of hard to know if you read the putt right when you're only kind of guessing at the speed...When the putt is missed which one was it,the speed or the read...Now I will atleast have a starting point.I will know the speed will be the same on every putt..That way I"ll know if I need to move it one way or another the next time I get that putt...Good idea Codmot...Thanks

Goodluck,

Larry

• wallydawg68
    46 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 1:29 PM

Thanks so much for posting this. Before using this technique, I was hitting in the high to mid 80s. After using this for awhile, I have seen great improvement, and just broke into the Pro tier at 79.7. Thanks again.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 3:22 PM

BolloxInBruges:

PugsAce:

I've also found the "break" on the fast greens to require about 1/2 as much "left/right" aiming as the "standard speed" greens when using just enough speed to drop the ball into the cup.

Hope this helps. :)

I dunno about that, putts that I used aim at the edge of the cup, I am now aiming a full cup off the hole.   Breaking more, not less.

Don't know, guys... I've gotta stand by my earlier statement of "about 1/2 as much break". At least that's what I'm experiencing... weird... but true.

I've played a bunch of rounds on both the "standard" and the "fast" greens (haven't seen any others yet), and for some reason, on the fast greens, the ball doesn't seem to break as hard left or right when either putting up or down a slope.

I don't know what I'd be doing that's any different... but I'd hate to steer anyone wrong, so I guess I'll hafta add that "your mileage may vary" to my "tip".

If I figure anything out... I'll certainly post it... sorry if there's been any grief.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 3:35 PM

Updated slightly to reflect that the tutorial numbers discussed are for Standard green speeds only.

Also, that's weird.  Putts should be breaking more on the correct speed line Pugs.  By correct speed line I mean putts that would come to a stop 2 feet beyond the hole.  There's less force behind the ball and less resistance to the break.  I find myself about doubling the normal break I would play unless I intend to play it through the break.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 3:48 PM

Hmmm... yes... my misses usually end-up 1-2ft past the cup... whether fast or standard greens. edit: only on the standard greens... wasn't playing "Fast" greens... they were labeled incorrectly.

One thing I wish someone could tell me is this...

I'm playing the weekly (44week) 9-hole Unlimited (my obsession) and it shows Standard greens in the game, but on the entry card it shows Fast greens... wonder if I need to clear my flash cache again?

Can anybody playing this weekly tourney tell me what greens they have???

edit: here's a screen shot of the 13th green from the tourney:

Here's the entry card... see the difference?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 4:07 PM

Trust what it says on the green. The day the update came out all the green conditions went to "fast" on the entry cards but the greens stayed the same-slow, now called standard.

I've found the only way to be sure is get on the green. Problem there is you don't know until you do and that affects the approach shot on your first hole.

I suspect it's part of the work in progress thing and will eventually be made right.

YJ

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 5:00 PM

Thanks YJ. Didn't know that. Somehow, I may have been confuzzled about the "breaks" on the fast greens, but I gotta go play one somewhere to see what may be throwing me off.

I shall return! lol :)

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 11:55 AM

So far it's been consistent with one speed down.  If it says fast, it's standard.  When it said very fast last week it was just fast.

Hopefully it had something to do with the mid-month release and it'll work itself out starting tomorrow.

Also, if you haven't seen the FAQ on Green Speeds there's some new info.  Who's ready for championship speed on BP #15?

• Elestee
    2 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 4:41 PM

Very, very well done. This should help me a lot. But I have a problem figuring out when blue turns to black, and vice-versa. Maybe they could use whiteor yellow instead of blue. Anyway, thanks for the great info.

RSS