Forums

Help › Forums

Putting on fast greens

Tue, Oct 13 2009 8:23 PM (8 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 1:00 PM

Wow!!  Wait until you get to play on fast greens!  You think you know your putter?-guess again. LOL

I just got off Kia-played 18 and played with some new stuff I got. The greens were fast so the timing was good-I get to try everything. I think I know my putter pretty good even though my stats aren't fabulous (it's the ding-thing.)

However-I don't know my putter on fast greens at all. I learned this the first hole and then spent the next 17 studying the difference. Keep in mind, this is my own experience but I came up with a fairly accurate way to figure putt length on fast greens-add 1/3 to the distance you use for the avatar move on each scale. The Redwood is pretty accurate using this method.

The yardages I came up with directly correspond to 1/3 more feet: On the 5 scales I have been using on the Redwood (15  30  45  90  150) I get, for each 1st move on each scale, a corresponding footage of 6  6  9  12  15.  On fast greens this turns into  8  8  12  16  20.

I wound up something like 25 over par for the round (and yes, I QUIT b4 posting), most of which was playing with the putter until the shots maxed out. I did finish the last 4 holes using the above numbers and was able to par out.

I'm not sure exactly where the fast greens show up but if you run into them and haven't practiced, even a little, you're in for a huge surprise. Enjoy!

YJ

oh, and btw-the break speed is double what you think!

• rustynipples
    199 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 1:18 PM

I just played a match with gao on fast greens. The break seemed normal to me, however I was hitting my putts with half the speed and seeing them roll past the hole. Seemed as though the putts under 5 feet were just about normal, but those over 15 were odd to say the least.

• MJBboyrox
    31 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 4:32 PM

I for one am loving the faster greens. I would always leave them short on the slow greens and there were only slow greens. The fast are tougher but I'm liking them. Also, now on standerd greens, when it says 18ft and you use the Nivlac trick, it goes 18ft instead of coming up 3 ft short. Great updates WGT!

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 4:32 PM

I don't see it...

Just played Match Play (w/ hackerman75, thanks!) and was draining putts (one of >30') the same as before the update.  I noticed no difference with the Spider putter.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 4:42 PM

They've swapped the numbers on the putting scales before, so be careful that's not the case with the redwood.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 5:03 PM

I verified it niv-it's very consistent but you really have to be careful on the backswing using the big scales. I'm interested in what you come up with.

Snaike, I find it hard to believe you see no difference in putting on fast greens. How is that? I know it isn't the putter. If it is you might want to clue the other Spider owners because I've seen 3 of them against me have the same troubles I first had.

MJB-the" Nivlac trick" says 15 ft is how far it goes on slow greens. Maybe that's why you were always 3 ft short.

YJ

• MJBboyrox
    31 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 5:07 PM

could be YJ but it is very consistant on the standerd greens

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 5:14 PM

My bad, MJB. Didn't realize you were talking about the standard putter. I was thinking Redwood.

YJ

• MJBboyrox
    31 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 8:23 PM

No prob YJ I'm too cheap to buy good clubs. :)

MJ

RSS