Forums

Help › Forums

Adding distance to the shot from different lies...

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 28 2024 2:40 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • sevenfooter2k
    2 Posts
    Sat, Jul 16 2011 7:10 PM

I read about how you can guage distance by your club movements while putting but has anyone figured out a good way to guage the extra distance you need to hit the ball when hitting from different lies? 

If you have a lie of 15 to 25 for example, how much distance should you add to your shot? 

I would be curious to know if anyone has a guide for these situations.

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 1:07 AM

I have good luck taking the first number it gives and adding it to my shot calculation weather im in a bunker, or chipping, or in the fairway rough as long as it is in the 20-40% range. So for a 20-30% scenario I would add 20% to my shot calculation. The clubs and balls your using have a determining factor of the outcome as well.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 3:46 AM

sevenfooter2k:

I read about how you can guage distance by your club movements while putting but has anyone figured out a good way to guage the extra distance you need to hit the ball when hitting from different lies? 

If you have a lie of 15 to 25 for example, how much distance should you add to your shot? 

Actually, yes

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 8:50 AM

SGTBilko:

Iconian's short-game bible is still scripture (if you add in the apocrypha for the high-spin new clubs and balls), but it is about the short game.

Don't think I've come across such a clear exposition when it comes to hitting longer approach shots from different lies, e.g. if you drive into the rough or a bunker. As far as I can tell, it is a sliding scale based on the percentage of the impediment and the loft of the club, and whether or not it is necessary to switch to a punch shot.

For example, 20/25 rough will take very little distance off of a 9 iron played as a full shot, but at the opposite end of the spectrum the same rough will cut lots of distance off of a 3 iron, or indeed 30/40 rough may be almost unplayable as a full shot with a 3 iron..... etc.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 11:44 AM

sevenfooter2k:

i think your question has merit, and i am not trying to be an a-s,  but if everything in golf, or any individual sport had a die hard scale about what to do when, where indeed would SPORT come into it? i think you received several good answers, but not definitive answers.  which to me may be best.  half the fun of playing is figureing it out, after  you have seen the edge of the woods.

• andypat
    453 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 8:01 PM

sevenfooter2k:

I have for a long while used the rough gauge of 

15-20% rough add 5yds 

20-30% add 20yds

30-40 add 30 yds and so on 

and it has up untill now worked for me but as someone else has already mentioned it also depends on the type of ball and clubs you use

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 8:38 PM

lee22sharon:
    if everything in golf, or any individual sport had a die hard scale about what to do when, where indeed would SPORT come into it? i think you received several good answers, but not definitive answers.  which to me may be best.
    Amen

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 9:06 PM

andypat:

15-20% rough add 5yds 

20-30% add 20yds

and it has up untill now worked for me but as someone else has already mentioned it also depends on the type of ball and clubs you use

More importantly the loft of the club. Its impact can be substantial.

• Ffudd
    2,541 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 2:26 AM

sevenfooter2k:

As said above, the effect of rough / sand differs from club to club and your ball also has an effect.

Best way to figure it for your set up is to go off on a practice round, play the ball into the rough and hit it out at full meter to see how far it pitches / rolls and compare that with the same shot from the fairway. Rinse and repeat from your wedges up to your longer clubs.

I use a % rather than adding a set distance so you might get "5i from 30-40 rough add 10%"

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 10:17 AM

Infinito3010:

andypat:

15-20% rough add 5yds 

20-30% add 20yds

More importantly the loft of the club. Its impact can be substantial.

Infinito's right, you may get 30/40% rough and you use a wedge and ball will travell maybe 5 yards under full distance, but if you use say a 175 yard iron, it may only go 154 yards

• PAGES
RSS