Forums

Help › Forums

Harder Course?

Thu, Oct 29 2009 1:08 PM (5 replies)
  • dunej
    12 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 11:29 AM

What do you think will be harder, Bethpage Black or St. Andrews.

My thoughts :

St Andrews - Fast greens, LONG greens, hard to get a birdie without being precise.

Bethpage Black - Hard Fairways, easy greens.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 1:53 PM

Bethpage has a harder slope rating than st andrews  so that would be my answer

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 3:54 PM

St Andrews does not have faster greens.  The size of them tends to help your score rather than hurt it, you can miss many of the hole locations and still have a 40 foot putt for birdie rather than a trap shot or a difficult pitch.  You can also run the ball to the hole at St Andrews and are not required to carry everything a precise distance.  Having played both of these in person, there is no comparision....St Andrews is now a tourist trap, if you want quality golf in Scotland there are dozens better.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2009 10:27 AM

I think BPB is by far the more challenging course, St. Andrews is relatively flat with humongous greens. Along with everyone TarHeels said above, it BPB is a significant amount harder being a par 70 rather than a par 72, as the two long par 4s are very long par 4s, almost unreachable at times.

• daishi2325
    8 Posts
    Tue, Oct 27 2009 11:59 PM

Bethpage by far...... the ruthless back 9 just says it all

• pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Thu, Oct 29 2009 1:08 PM

Yep, Bethpage will definitely be harder that St. Andrews, especially because of the back nine, where par is an extremely good score there. St. Andrews's difficulty will likely be between Bethpage and Kiawah. Kiaway will probably be easier than St. Andrews because it has 4 par 5's and St. Andrews only has 2.

RSS