Forums

Help › Forums

shot 4 ctth st andrews

Mon, Oct 19 2009 8:56 PM (5 replies)
  • raidermatt1
    96 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2009 5:45 PM

I was wondering how you play the fourth shot in the ctth at st. andrews. that is the one out of the bunker. I always get it on the green with backspin but it seems to roll right off.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2009 8:11 PM

Lol ... i think the secret to that is the best kept (or non-existant) secret in history ... the truth of the matter is ( i think ) ... if the wind is blowing in your face it is fairly easy to stop it on the green and if the wind is from behind .... well, let's just say ya made a big score bud and move on to the next hole ... it's like hitting to the green at the 18th at bethpage with a strong tailwind .... if it gets close to the pin it was nothing short of miraculous ... there's always another option at St. Andrews #4 though ... hit for the large wide portion of the green way left of the pin .... it stays on the green (which doesn't really reduce your score as it's so far away) and it avoids the fringe,fairway, or rough penalties you easily get there for firing at the flag ...

EDIT: NOV. 3,2012- I should have suggested this at first ...

It's flatter close to the hole than it is short of the hole on this shot .... so ....

Fly your ball close to the hole if you can ...

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2009 12:56 AM

I managed a respectable placement in the recently closed WK 41 CTTH Challenge on St. Andrews.  With high winds, that course has to be one of the hardest.  On #4 I use my 8 iron, in the freebie set, with full back spin and just a little less than full power. 

I think the real secret to any CTTH challenge is repetitiveness ...In other words, if you stick with it, you will eventually do all 9 challenges without an big oops. 

#6 is the one that drives me up a wall on St. Andrews. 

Joey   

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 6:07 PM

raidermatt1:

I was wondering how you play the fourth shot in the ctth at st. andrews. that is the one out of the bunker. I always get it on the green with backspin but it seems to roll right off.

If you figure it out, let me know... 

I've played it dozens of times and I get the same result as you - doesn't matter which direction the wind is blowing - very frustrating.  I did manage to get within 10 feet once - I hit the flagstick and it stopped within 2 feet.  So hit the flagstick, that would be my advice... lol.

I did get it within 10 to 20 feet once, I hit the hump just in front of the green and lo and behold it rolled on the green and stopped.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate that shot - I can hit the hump, but it either rolls off to the side, gets stuck or rolls on the green and off again.

Good luck.

• dingers
    55 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 8:02 PM

*** of a hole . I drop back to a 130 club use full backspin and 7/10 it pulls up , i have used the 115 club and let it roll off the hill depending on the wind . with hole 6 , with the breeze i can drop back a club and make it on with full backspin . Backspin seems to only work when your already going *** .

Lots of luck needed

• dingers
    55 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 8:56 PM

UPDATE , I just ACED 4

replay on profile page .

Cheers

RSS