Help › Forums

. CANCELLED

Wed, Mar 17 2010 1:08 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • slor
    902 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2009 1:02 PM

Hi all

Now that I have organised a few tournaments so far this year, I am starting up some matchplay leagues. The concept is simple: you will be placed in a monthly league of up to six players, with two 9-hole matchplays against each player, 'home' and 'away'. A home match means that you have the choice of course, tees, and wind speeds against your opponent.

There will be a system of promotion and relegation in place and only the top players will be asked to arrange matches far outside of their time zone. e.g. when a player signs up he will be allocated to a division of his/her regional league and then earn promotion up to the bottom division of a 'world' league.

Express your interest in playing here

Allocating players to the right level is difficult and I am seeking a few (3 to 5) wgt volunteers to serve as a committee to elect players into the appropriate division when they join or if they feel that they are too high or low level of player for the division they are currently in. This will be slightly time-consuming at the beginning as you will need to work with me to create the entire structure from scratch and allocate all the players. Please send me a private message or wall post if you are interested.

To whet your appetite I have created a dummy league that you can test out by submitting results, etc. It is designed to take 40 results before overflowing. In other words, try to break it now so it is reliable when leagues go live (besides having a player play themselves. So funny, haha....)

Dummy results submission

Spreadsheet containing results and league table

Hope to hear back from all of you - slor

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2009 1:30 PM

Hi slor, this sounds like a very good idea but also very similar to the League Tables on the WGT Ladder site. There are now over 120 participants in that tournament and it is pretty time consuming for one month ... this seems to me like it would just be duplicating that. Also, there are already a huge overload of tournaments going on now and I'm sure many people will be tied up with other tournaments they are participating. I will pass on this for now but I wish you and all participants of slor's matchplay leagues the best of luck!

• slor
    902 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2009 1:37 PM

An impressive site it is! I'm sure that there can be some challenge matches between the leagues in the future.

Some thoughts: To encourage playing, the leagues would give 3 points for a win, 2 for a half, and 1 for a loss. A division would have several groups, and in the divisions lower down, maybe you wouldn't be restricted just to the players in your group as I imagine problems will happen with people signing up then not bothering playing at that level.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2009 4:04 AM

all the best with the matchplay leagues Slor great idea. i'm sure you'll have all the best players wanting to take part. you have a good track record organising comps and this one looks very slick.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2009 9:58 AM

i'm sure i'll be the first of many signing up.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2009 12:33 PM

matchplay the best form of golf

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2009 12:42 PM

You might as well wait and see what the Match Play format instituted by WGT in the coming weeks/months looks like in terms of options before you get this whole thing together.  Right now, this site is decidedly not set up for match play, so waiting to see how it's all going to be arranged for us seems to be the most prudent thing to do before organising any tournaments, leagues, or rules of play.

Plim, considering every known great player in golfing history has pretty well stated that golf is a game of man vs. course, not man vs. man, I'd have to say your contention that Match Play is the "best form of golf" is a bit off the mark.  Match Play is a novelty form of the game that only serves to pit ego vs. ego, and that to me is hardly the "best form" of anything.  That kind of machismo might have a place in basketball, boxing, etc, but in my opinion it brings out the worst in people in the game of golf.

Good luck with your league Slor.

• STUDIOSHD
    180 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2009 12:46 PM

Have to pass Slor, cool idea. There are alot of Tournaments goin on right now. I'm busy Hosting one begining October 29th - November 1st.  The best of luck to you and all competitors.

Rickey

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2009 1:17 PM

Tibbets

its all about opinions i prefer matchplay, having a 10 footer to win a match on the last and drilling it no better feeling. strokeplay shoot the round of your life only to find out in the clubhouse somebody has beaten you by 5 shots, not nice.

matchplay have a nightmare on the first take say a 7 lose a hole, strokeplay take a 7 on the first you lose the will to play. i just think its the more exciting form of golf. like i said it all about opinions, i like all forms of golf they all have their place and can all be fun to play. but to call matchplay novelty golf is a bit harsh. but then again thats your opinion and i respect that.

strokeplay man v course

matchplay man v man and course

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2009 1:47 PM

Wow, tibbets, you shocked me with that response. The ego thing- I seriously don't get it. I read the post three times trying to figure out what you meant. I have a great deal of respect for you and your accomplishments here. I doubt I'd ever be able to beat you on a consistent basis at stroke play but I do think I'd have a chance at match play-better than stroke play, anyway-and I wouldn't think your or my ego would be in play. Mine wouldn't, I know that. So what exactly do you mean?

I feel match play still requires you to play the course but it also throws in a variable that keeps you in the match. You birdie the first hole and I bogey-game over now. No way I'm making up 2 strokes unless you implode-=a verrrrry unlikely possibility. But, in match play it's only 1-0 and I'm still in it. Where is the ego thing?

Also, I'm thinking maybe the quitting thing might fade a little if match play happened because you could play a match and not have your average affected (which seems to be the real reason people duck out.)  Might keep people in the game to the conclusion.

YJ

• PAGES
RSS