Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:00 PM

Honestly...

Terrible programming 

Greens are incredibly inconsistent

An embarassment to an otherwise really good game

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 5:09 AM

Having a little difficulty with a real course are we? Imagine what it would be like if the greens were fast.   :-)

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 6:01 AM

Oakmont putting is no different than other courses, the greens just have more variations in elevations. Same principles apply, just exaggerated somewhat.

• Dichotomy37
    75 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 7:28 AM

A little known fact is that Oakmont was named after a divorce lawyer who was a bottom feeding, life stealing, scum sucker .  Okay I made that up but after I play it that's what I feel like I've been dealing with ;)

In fact that's the course I'm currently working on to figure out the lays of the greens.  I can't putt to save my life especially when the break is right to left or left to right and fast.  But I'll learn.  That's part of the fun of this game.  Knowing it can be done and figuring out how to do it.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 7:40 AM

Oakmont punishes you the most for not leaving the ball in the right place.

On many holes you have a much better chance making birdie if you play to a putt you can make rather than leaving a 5 foot huge breaker that if you miss will go 25 feet past.

• Cleworthy
    3,466 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 8:41 AM

Oakmont is definitely the most infuriating course we have to play on WGT.  That doesn't mean it's a bad course.  Computer games become boring if they are too easy.  We need Oakmont and maybe another equally challenging course (BPB?) to keep those competitive juices going.  As far as the "programming" and such, I think Oakmont plays the same as other courses - just way harder on the greens.

• gene1022
    112 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 1:08 PM

It's not just on the game either. Oakmont has some of the hardest putting surfaces on the PGA tour. Take a look back at the scores by the best in the world at Oakmont

• RickBarenes
    215 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 7:41 PM

YankeeJim:

Having a little difficulty with a real course are we? Imagine what it would be like if the greens were fast.   :-)

or Very Fast and tourny etc. love the course but hates me

• RickBarenes
    215 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 7:41 PM

YankeeJim:

or Very Fast and tourny etc. love the course but hates me

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 9:25 PM

So, it doesn't suck then?

It's just hard. I need to play it more - just not in RGs. LOL

• PAGES
RSS