Forums

Help › Forums

St Andrews Joy

Mon, Oct 12 2009 11:00 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mrboo
    211 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 6:00 AM

Loving the CTTH at St Andrews. High winds, fast greens. Very exciting, and challenging. This would be a great stroke play course. Most fun I've had on WGT in a long time. Hope to see this one in some weekly challenges next month, gotta keep the high winds too or it just wouldn't be St Andrews. Maybe even crank them up a bit? 30-40mph? =) Kudos WGT. The only way it could be better is if there were a few birds making some noise. =D

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 6:30 AM

hmm just noticed the winds are rated at moderate and the greens slow. The winds sure seem higher than moderate. Not that I'm complaining. The more the merrier. Greens seem pretty speedy too, of course that's from slopes and helping winds I guess. Well I would love to see this course with fast rated greens and 30 - 40mph winds, now that could be interesting!

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 7:36 AM

And if WGT adds birds to a Scottish course like St. Andrews then those birds are going to need to chirp and tweet with a Scottish brogue.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 7:44 AM

St Andrews is much more fun to play on a golf game than in person.  In reality, the winds don't always blow, the greens are very slow, the course isn't long by today's standards.  It is more a tourist trap today than a real golf experience.  Turnberry and Carnoustie are the real Scottish golf courses today, these are still held in high esteem but don't get the tourist traffic that St Andrews does.  I would love to see both those courses on WGT.

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 7:57 AM

i too raised an eyebrow to the upwards of 21mph winds and greens that seem to have a thin glass coating.

i can only assume that WGT intends to make winds and green speed "course relative"...i've never seen 21mph winds on a moderate setting on any other course (CTTH or stroke)...and i've hit into enough greens to have an opinion that st. andrews "slow" greens are well, lets just say faster than "slow".

gl

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 8:06 AM

All the courses that I have played in Scotland have greens that by US standards are slow.  If the wind is up and they are dry they can get quick but never to a standard of a US Open quick.  The weather is pretty much the defense of St Andrews and more rain than constant wind.  It is on the water so it isn't unusual to have a 15 to 25 MPH steady wind, same is true at Carnoustie and Turnberry.  However even in the summer you get a lot of rain which slows the greens a great deal.  The fairways are generally much more firm that US courses, my last trip I played a lot of 2 irons off the tees.  I could normally hit a 2 Iron about 210 in the US with a little draw.  In all the Scottish courses that I played I could hit it up to 260 from the tee if I played a draw.  It makes the courses play a great deal shorter over there is you can control an iron from the tee and hit it 260 with only the aid of the firm ground, it would go longer with the wind but playing it low made you only lose 15 yards into the wind.  Same with the green, speed doesn't matter much because you tend to run the ball up to them and only hit it at the pin with wedges in your hand.  I would say that if a US Open course is running 12 on the stimpmeter, then St Andrews is about 9 at the most on a dry day. 

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 10:44 AM

Played St. Andrews yesterday mrboo, no birds unfortunately, but it did rain from start to finish!

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 11:03 AM

Love the rain hat!  I hope, like Zagie in these forums, you had a stiff rum & coke in the clubhouse by the fireplace afterwards...

• HigherThanYall
    51 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 11:05 AM

when do we get to play the full course?

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 12:00 PM

Played there about 4 years ago, started to drizzle on the first fairway.  We teed off at 3:50, by the time we got to 9 it was a steady rain.  Played 17 and 18 into a hard rain and finished about 8:30.  It was in the summer so it stayed light until almost 10:00 PM.

• PAGES
RSS