Forums

Help › Forums

Flat out strange.....

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 25 2011 12:54 AM (7 replies)
  • MrMcCormick
    69 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 5:19 AM

My putting is usually my glue that holds my game together. I am usually money from 10 ft and in. Don't miss a putt no matter what the break.

but... lately I can not seem to find the hole. My distance is still good and I ding pretty much all of my putts... but my break reads have been off (to put it lightly). Expecially from around 6 ft.

I usually always post 5 to 6 unders on ready-gos but lately because of my putting i can't get anything past 3-4 under.

The worst part is my driving, irons, and wedge play have gotten better... but my putting I have taken two steps back on.....

Anyone go through the same troubles... or just have tips to help me find my stroke...

Its beating me down slowly... so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 7:03 AM

You recently had your first Hole-in-One, eh?

Your putting is doomed!   :/

LOL... J/K... ;) It's a total myth about the hole shrinking after Aceing a hole here at WGT! ( I think...) But... congrats on that milestone, anyways! :]

As far as yer puttin' woes go... I've been there. But it'd be a real chuckle for ME to offer YOU puttin' tips when you've obviously enjoyed success at it in the past. Only thing I can offer is... - Have you changed anything lately, I mean... other than tiers? Seems you've "come back" from a "hiatus" and are tearin' up at Kiawah and St Andrew's. Oakmont seems to givya some troubles, but Everyone has a rough time adjusting to those greens.

I HAVE noticed (but it's probably just me) that putts with "early breaks" have been giving me more problems than before. Especially the "short ones" from 6-8ft, and my normally speedy Tourney greens seem to have slowed-down a tad, making breaks with a too-soft stroke seem "more pronounced" than they should. But like I said... this is probably just me because I've been switching ball-types trying to find one that might smoooth the meter a bit.

Could be just a stage you're going through... I also see that it won't be long til you make "Legend". When THAT happens, your putting will be the LEAST of yer worries! LOL

Your Drives and GIR will then take a hit (hopefully not too bad), and you'll more-than-likely be faced with more putts outside your "10ft comfort zone"... and from what I've heard from other recently-turned TM's, your tourney green-speeds will get just a tad quicker. This doesn't necessarily mean that your putts will be harder to drain, though.

Good Luck MrMc... and try to follow-thru... keeping yer head down while puttin'... and outta the clouds... 'specially those ones that make ya say "hmmmmm"....   ;)

PA

• Cleworthy
    3,466 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 9:26 AM

I will have a day now and then when I am not hitting any putts and I think "all is lost!"  Then, the next day I am fine again. I can't explain it, so I live with it.   Doesn't look like your putting average has taken much of a hit yet, so not to worry.

• MrMcCormick
    69 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 2:33 PM

I must say this makes sense.... it really has seemed like shorter putts on tourney greens are not running as fast as they should be.... Its tough to get a grip on what the actual problem is... because the more I think about it the more I move my break down and up on a 6 footer.... then I fear that I didnt put enough break so I hit it a little harder.... Outcome: I burn edges left and right.

I havent changed anything... the daytona and callaway s balls have been doing work for me...

Should I consider switching to the redwood lvl 72 once I get there?... maybe the extra precision will help bring back some confidence... maybe stuck in a rut with my equipment now?... lol... idk.

I am definitly in no hurry to be a legend, lol... but I know it is coming soon! I hope I can get close to lvl 80 so I can get close to the TM irons and R11 driver... help work out the distance issues for bethpage and oakmount.

Thank you for the posts though gents... hopefully my putting woes end soon!

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 7:16 PM

MrMcCormick:

Anyone go through the same troubles... or just have tips to help me find my stroke...

Its beating me down slowly... so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

When I was 13 I struggled for several days before finding my stroke. It's very personal, but keep stroking and soon you'll find yours.

Good luck.  :)

• MrMcCormick
    69 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 9:31 PM

I wish... it just keeps getting worse... today i played the ocean course front 9 ready-go.... I turned a should of been -8 into a -3... I missed 4 putts from 4-6 ft... i was -4 on 9 and bogeyed it by missing a 5ft putt.... my driver is hot, irons are dead on, around the greens im either in the cup or running it to within 3ft.... but putting... (lets just say happy gilmore would be looking like ben crenshaw next to me.) I am literally about to start purposely hitting my approaches off the green because I feel like I have a better chance of chipping in then making a 6 ft putt.

It is killing me that no matter what I do these putts are burning edges left and right...

I wish I could create a program that allows my avatar to break his putter in half in the game if I miss one more birdie from what use to be easy money for me.....

thanks for the optimistic nature of your comment... lol... but I think I am going to need more then that... does Dave Pelz have a "how to" book for making 6 ft'ers on wgt?.... cause if he does ill give him all my credits for it, lol

Thank you for the support guys... My avatar is going to become an alcoholic if this keeps up.

• MrMcCormick
    69 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 12:46 AM

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:450:0]

• MrMcCormick
    69 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 12:54 AM

I think I am officially back!!!!... I just made the decision to play in one ready-go... I told myself I had to at least take an hour to play the round. (to keep myself from hurrying shots.).... This my friends was the result... I could have easily shot a -17 but i bogeyed number 2 and left an eagle putt right on the edge...

THE BEST PART IS that I beat BOLLOXINBURGES by one stroke!!!!!... I know that a 59 for him is sorta off his game but hey I still did it.... I just need to focus more if I really want to be good at this game... Its when I play speed golf on here... that has a negative effect on my putting....

I will keep everyone posted... I hope my putting woes are over!

RSS