Forums

Help › Forums

putting

Mon, May 23 2011 9:35 AM (5 replies)
  • genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 4:07 PM

Hi,

I am not too bad at putting (55% 1 putt) but I am still far from the best putters. So I have a question.

When aiming left or right to counter the break, is there a way to "compute" how much one has to aim left (or right) depending on the velocity of the dots on the grid? 

OK I know that it depends how hard you hit the ball. If you hit quite hard, you have to aim less to the left (or right) than if you hit less hard. But on tourney greens, this is not a big parameter because one cannot hit too hard.

The way I do it, is based only on "pattern recognition" (the same when I have to take lateral wind into account on approach shot, for headwind and tailwind I compute). So this method is based on memory. I have the distance, I see the dots moving and I "know" how far from the hole I have to aim. But as you can imagine this "method" is not very robust. Some days, I know better where to aim than other days (for some reasons that only my brain knows).

So I was curious to know how people here are putting and which method they use (without the details if they don't want to reveal them): computing in some way where to aim or using memory and pattern recognition.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 4:21 PM

Think I am hitting around 68% - 1 putt

you are on the right track with your putting method.

Mine is based on memory , speed & speed of dots & knowing how much to move your putting line compared to how fast the dots are moving , Hard to explain how I putt as you must no  how much to move for the smallest dot movement before you can go to the next step with faster dot movements. I think awhile back I posted a few photo`s in A topic trying to explain how I putt in photo`s with lines & movements etc etc can`t remember the topic name at the moment 

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Sun, May 22 2011 3:14 PM

Thank you Sun for your answer. I am happy to see that my "method" is essentially the same than the method of one of the best putter here.

However I expected a bit more answers. But it's true that this is not a post about "the f***ing meter" or about "cheats program", it's really about the game, so it's less interesting for sure :) .

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Sun, May 22 2011 4:28 PM

If you added Cheat program in the topic title you would have got all those cry baby`s in this topic bitching , whining , crying , nappy wearing audits. ( just so many of them on this site) must have been raised with a silver spoon in there mouths. Kinda laughable reading grown men acting like that.

I tell you a story.

5 years ago I was average golfer with a handicap of (8) , I had all the best equipment hitting really good shots at time , but when it came to chipping , putting , bunkers shots with wedges from 30 - 60 yards I was less then average.

I decided to spend a good solid month with a golf pro 3 - 4 times a week just on around the greens & on putting 1 month after that my handicap dropped to 3 2 months later I was hinting of 0 handicap.

Any one who plays the game of golf noes the only way you are going to improve & drop you scores & be consistent in the game of golf is putting. You could hit your drive 380 yards of the tee means nothing if you 2 - 3 putt every hole. be nice to smash it that far.

All those people crying in the other topics don`t understand how golf works , maybe only a few play golf for real but all the cry baby`s have one thing in common with a low one putt % on there putts. (Called drive for show putt for $$$$ for a reason)

How do you shot scores in the 50`s people ask , making putts 12ft - 20ft regularly. How do you improve your game working on putting & around the green shots. 

Can not hit a perfect shot every time , well I can`t & most greens I am looking at 10ft + for brid a little closer with a wedge shot but from that range they haft to be tap in`s , putting is where you save yourself for bad shots. 

Edit:

I went & found some of my basic putting for slow moving dots tips I have been trying t teach a few people.

• Lobsterboy
    4,729 Posts
    Sun, May 22 2011 6:02 PM

genorb:
    So I was curious to know how people here are putting and which method they use

The method I've just recently started using genorb is to not move the marker, but to "hook" or "slice" to cancel out the break ie if it's breaking quite severely from right to left, I'll let the meter go way past the ding mark to compensate for it, left to right and I'll click well before the ding. If it's just a wee break, do the same, but closer to the ding mark. My putting has improved since I started doing this, and I think quite a lot of players use this method.

Regards

Lob

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, May 23 2011 9:35 AM

Same... I tend to move my target for wind, but tend to play curves for putt breaks.

RSS