Help › Forums

New guy and I am addicted

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 20 2009 1:05 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • niterydr
    4 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 9:58 PM

I originally found this site back in June.  Played a bit, then forgot about it. Well a few days ago I found it again and now am offically hooked.

Then upon poking around the wgt.com website, I find there is a forum and people discussing, now I have my new official internet addiction.

Great group of people it seems on here.  Just trying to work on my consistancy and putting, goodluck out there everyone!

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 1:05 AM

Welcome...I saw your post that reads: My only issue with the greens is trying to figure out how to play them when there is over a 7" stated drop. It seems to be a non linear relationship between a 6" drop and a 11" drop when trying to gauge how much "power" you need for your putter swing.

I have been around since May...got hooked during the US Open.  There is good advice in these forums and what has helped me with putting is something I read long ago where you should add a foot for every inch of uphill and subtract a foot for every inch of downhill.  Be sure to check, at the beginning of each round, the green and wind speeds...make allowances for this as well.  When the putting grid colors are brighter, that indicates a severe up or down hill putt so take that into consideration when applying power (+or -).  I can read putts better from the reverse angle and taking a practice swing can help with accuracy on the power meter.  And one of these days, I will get that darn green thing to stop on the white line (smile).

Joey 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 1:11 AM

But wind speed should be irrelevant for putting, shouldn't it?   

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 3:19 AM

Hi Faterson.  I saw another posting that discussed wind allowances when putts.  The wind seems to have an affect on my putting...I know I have blamed the wind for missing some putts (wink).  But to be honest, I am not consistent enough to prove it.  Any of the big guns what to way in on this one. 

joey

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 3:38 AM

I for one totally ignore the wind during putts & haven't observed anything in this regard. I seem to remember a reference somewhere in the forum some time ago that said that in the early stages of development of this game, wind used to influence putts, but that later WGT cancelled this influence because it was wreaking havoc? (Hope I'm not dreaming this but I think I heard something like that.)

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 4:27 AM

There was a time (a frustrating one at that) where the winds did indeed affect putting here.

That is no longer the case, AFAIK.

• niterydr
    4 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 6:45 AM

Thank you for the welcome and the advise all!

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 12:54 PM

Again, welcome to niterydr

The equipment aspect of this game is important.  I am sure there are those using the starter equipment that do quite well.  But, no one can argue that you will play a different (I did not say easier ) game with upgraded equipment.  And just as in real golf, the potential for better play should not be ignored.

I bought the only upgraded putter available last June and didn't notice a huge difference.  Now, there are other putters that claim much more precision, forgiveness and balance.  I would like to know what any of you, using the newer putters , have to say. 

Hopefully, someday the WGT might let us try out equipment before purchasing...like in a real pro shop (smile).   

Joey

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 5:10 PM

I have played with all 5 putters extensively, Joeyola, and all I can say to you and anyone is, just go and get that Ping Redwood putter for $6. It's hands-down best & can make a dramatic difference to your play. Of course, you still need to hit it right, but if you do, the results can be spectacular The putter's meter is rather fast, so it's best to slow it down with GI-D balls.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 12:08 PM

Thanks Faterson.  I'll have to try it when my ship comes in (smile). 

Oh, another thing, for you newbies, that you might try when putting is to adjust the power so the ball goes passes the hole.  I usually aim about 2 feet past.  That technique will also takes some to the break out on those short side hillers.  You'll need to practice this to get any good at it.

Joey

• PAGES
RSS