Forums

Help › Forums

Spin and distance

Thu, May 12 2011 2:53 PM (7 replies)
  • RichCash
    62 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2011 7:21 AM

Hey,

Getting kinda confused when i play. I was wondering if when i use spin, it should make the ball go higher and take some distance off the club. Is this true?  If I have a ball that adds distance, will that still be true even for the shorter irons like 7,8,9?

The reason is I am figuring out the distance with wind and elevation and so on, but when i hit a perfect shot it goes long.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2011 7:43 AM

Yes full spin takes off distance on every club except the driver in some instances. The amount of distance it takes off is not the same for every club though. You have to practice, experiment and take notes.

• RichCash
    62 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2011 8:00 AM

Ok, but in a general sense, with the higher clubs will it take more distance off. Let's say I hit an eight iron 125 yards. I put full back spin on ball. Will this go about 120?

Is there a general rule?

thanks

Also, if spin takes distance off, does it even out if you are using a ball that adds extra distance?

• ROBICHJ
    5 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2011 8:49 AM

Thanks for asking this spin question, I was wondering that myself.

But what about top spin??  If back spin takes distance off....does adding top spin increase distance??

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2011 10:50 AM

in my limited experience, a distance ball will add to your total distance, top spin will help it roll/bounce further.  back spin does not seem to limit my carry distance, but when it hits the ground, hopefully will limit or even reverse the roll/bounce. if using a non-spin/distance ball, very little will change even with the best clubs,  not sure about thecleveland wedges, expect that they would have a slightly bigger influance even with a plain ball.hope it helps, my nickel.

• RichCash
    62 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2011 11:07 AM

I have noticed that when i backspin it does take some off the distance but i have yet to gauge how much...still working on it...and i think it has to do with the ball you use as well.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2011 1:14 PM

You just need to make a practice round and hit irons back and forth in the fairway.

Every club and ball vary. Use the same ball you play with all the time during your practice round. So for me to tell you my 9 iron plays 123 with full bs will not be the same as what your 9 iron plays with full bs.

• pluer
    142 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2011 2:53 PM

example -

60 yard Ping wedge with callaways  - no elevation

full meter

no spin - 60 yard

topspin(frontspin) 62 - 63 yard

backspin(backdoor) 57 yard

9 iron

no spin 135 yards

topspin - 139 + yards