Help › Forums

OK now what?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 1 2009 8:42 AM (3 replies)
  • GolferDean
    2 Posts
    Mon, Aug 31 2009 5:26 PM

Hi all,

I'm new here and after a couple of practice rounds I decided to try some ranking events today. I've managed to get from basic hack to pro with a sub 70 overall score. I didn't really expect to do that in less than a day and obviously I've still got a whole bunch of stuff to learn.

What I'm wondering is, as I'm playing with the clubs I was given, should I just stick with them while I'm learning to see how much lower I can take my score, or should I invest in some better kit now, and will I see a noticeable benefit from them.

Cheers

Dean

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Aug 31 2009 6:22 PM

I'd recommend for you to invest; the game is more fun with advanced equipment.

Some of the recommended (though  not cheap) equipment, suitable for beginners, might be the Rapture club set ($27), Ping Redwood putter ($6), and GI-D balls ($0.50 per 3 balls that last a few 18-hole rounds). The benefit you'll feel with these will be MONUMENTAL.

If you don't want to invest that much to start with, you can just upgrade your driver for $1–$8 & get the Tour Starter set ($7.82), but the benefit you'll be getting from these clubs will be appreciably lower, and so will be the fun from playing the game, perhaps.

• GolferDean
    2 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 8:24 AM

Thanks for the advice. Was debating between the Spider and Redwood for putters. I know you're a Redwood fan, my concern is speed as I notice the Redwood is a 3 compared to the Spider's 1. I get a bit twitchy on the the click sometimes and wondered if it's better to stick with the slower putter and get more accurate clicks which may outweigh a more accurate putter overall that I don't get quite right with clicks because of the meter speed (did that make any sense, I know I'm confused).

Of course everything is relative, so how much quicker is a 3 speed to a 1? Is there anywhere where I could see what a 3 speed is like before purchasing?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 8:42 AM

You can't test it in advance, I'm afraid. The difference in meter speed is significant indeed. If you don't plan on using the Redwood putter in combination with GI-D balls (which slow down its meter), then Spider would probably be the safer choice.

Another obvious option would be to purchase both putters & swap them between rounds to find out which putter suits you better. They have different scales and must be hit differently. That's only an option if you do not consider $10 that much of an investment. You could afterwards sell back the putter you no longer want, recovering a dollar or more from that investment. I've already sold back the older Anser putter, but am keeping the Spider for now.

RSS