Forums

Help › Forums

hitting out of rough

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 8 2011 5:33 AM (8 replies)
  • epicurus
    3 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2011 7:47 PM

How do you get yardage out of rough or sand?

• johnnyshank
    28 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2011 9:38 PM

take more club, doh !

• SeniorLandman
    19 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2011 2:26 AM

If you were hitting out of sand or rough 15-20 %, I would add 10% to my yardage.  Also, it's just the opposite of what Johnny there said, you will get better results from using less club.  Maybe somebody will reply with a better explanation that this.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:37 AM

epicurus:

How do you get yardage out of rough or sand?

It's a fairly complex question which depend on many variables, such as:

1. course

2. type of rough/sand

3. distance to the hole

4. angle as which it lies in the rough/sand

5. line to the hole

there is no 1 answer. But, with practice, you can figure out some things like, when you can go for the hole and when you need to lay up

-wgticon

• epicurus
    3 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2011 2:00 PM

Ahh...doh!  What I was asking: your 175 yrds out, in the deep rough, weeds or fairway bunker, How do you get ANY distance?  Low, High club?  Full, Punch, Pitch ?  doh!

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2011 3:31 PM

epicurus:

Ahh...doh!  What I was asking: your 175 yrds out, in the deep rough, weeds or fairway bunker, How do you get ANY distance?  Low, High club?  Full, Punch, Pitch ?  doh!

Assuming one is not in a deep bunker, in general I am able to attain the most distance using the punch shot with full backspin...this is true with almost all mid-level and above clubs...further I find that the hybrid club, punched with full backspin is also a good alternative....HB3

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, Apr 7 2011 1:26 PM

I assume you mean 50/60% deep rough, weeds. Pitching wedge or lower for full shot. Punch shot any club above those. It's not going to go any further than the wedges if you don't punch it. And honestly it's probably not going to go further than the wedges using a punch shot. Fairway bunker 40/50% buried, any wedge nothing else is getting it out of there. Even 20/30% buried and is usually going nowhere with anything over a 9 iron.

As hbthree said the hybrid is an awesome club from the 40/50% fairway rough with punch full backspin. I think I've hit mine 182 yards with that lie before. Averages about 161 though.

I find the 40/50% rough lies to be the most inconsistent. It's hard to judge just how far it's going to come squirting out of there.

• iukine
    195 Posts
    Thu, Apr 7 2011 4:51 PM

What seems to work for me is.... out of the rough, 15-25% hit with the club of choice but expect to lose anywhere from 5 to 10 yards off your distance and you lose any backspin. On 30-45% ruff club up one club and use the punch shot. On 50-65% ruff, double club up ( 9 iron go to 7 iron) use punch shot. It depends on your distance and how much you need to take off of your swing, work with it on a practice round to see if it will work for you. On sand shots just expect to lose about 10 yards for 50 yards total (100 yards/ 20 yards- 200yds./ 40yds) Always check your lie and make sure you're not buried. I hope this helps.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Apr 8 2011 5:33 AM

Sand: There seems to be a major difference between courses. 30/40 sand in the fairway bunkers at Oakmont about the best you can do is advance the ball with a wedge and hope to get up and down for a par. But 30/40 sand at St. Andrews can be very playable if you're not blocked by the lip. For example, if you're in that big bunker on 7, just add 20 yards to your wedge shot and you should be near the hole on your approach. The hard sand at Kiawah seems to respond differently from other sand.

Rough: With 15/20 rough on most courses it has little effect until you get into the long irons. 30/40 rough and your long irons lose lots or all of their effectiveness (especially at Oakmont), not to mention 40/50. You definitely need to punch from the heavier rough (30/40 +). Distance is also dramatically reduced on mis-hits compared to shots from the fairway. Trouble woods can be excellent from fairway rough. Punching with the R11 hybrid has advanced me as far as 150+ yards out of 60/70 rough at Bethpage. Incredible. Around the greenside rough, especially, remember the rule to always hit at least 70% strength out of rough.

RSS