Forums

Help › Forums

Winds 29-30 mph

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 6 2017 3:16 PM (34 replies)
  • jaynjeans
    302 Posts
    Wed, Oct 19 2016 2:36 PM

In reality what golfer would-be playing golf in near hurricane winds....not one. The winds in many cases are above 15 mph some at 30 mph consistently. The force is not reasonable to real golf. Many times judgement boils down to a guess and then the outcome is either not enough or too much. Even champions are bewildered. I have experience and success with the lower winds but the higher winds are impossible and again unrealistic..Please consider programming the wind not to exceed 15 mph...ty

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 11:09 AM

In high winds I use a combination of moving the aim point and missing the ding into the wind. You're obviously not going to score as well in high winds but they are playable.

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 11:37 AM

jaynjeans:
    In reality what golfer would-be playing golf in near hurricane winds....not one

Ask Padraig Harrington who won the Open at Birkdale in 2008, "in 30 mph winds" as the news say. "Gusts of 38 mph" were announced.

I remember him stating afterwards how strange it was to aim so many yards left or right just to hit the FWs.

• Robert1893
    7,680 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 12:04 PM

jaynjeans:

In reality what golfer would-be playing golf in near hurricane winds....not one. 

Tough conditions, no doubt. "Near hurricane"? Not exactly. 

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 1:16 PM

Robert1893:
    Not exactly.

Isn't that what 'Near' means?!?!?

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 1:37 PM

alosso:

jaynjeans:
    In reality what golfer would-be playing golf in near hurricane winds....not one

Ask Padraig Harrington who won the Open at Birkdale in 2008, "in 30 mph winds" as the news say. "Gusts of 38 mph" were announced.

I remember him stating afterwards how strange it was to aim so many yards left or right just to hit the FWs.

The Open last yr in 3rd round morning there were gusts near 40mph.. So if anything it needs to ramped up ;)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 3:17 PM

Personally I am not that keen on high winds, but the better players adjust well and whilst it does make the game harder, they are certainly not hurricane force (struggling with the stupidity of that statement).

I have played golf numerous times in Scotland and once it was a struggle to even stand up. It was not pleasant, and only managed a couple of holes - and that was playing with a Scot - even he said it is a wee windy today....

• harryskunk
    1,631 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 3:40 PM

alanti:

Personally I am not that keen on high winds, but the better players adjust well and whilst it does make the game harder, they are certainly not hurricane force (struggling with the stupidity of that statement).

I have played golf numerous times in Scotland and once it was a struggle to even stand up. It was not pleasant, and only managed a couple of holes - and that was playing with a Scot - even he said it is a wee windy today....

lol magic

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 6:14 PM

dchallenger:

Robert1893:
    Not exactly.

Isn't that what 'Near' means?!?!?

I guess I will get technical, or pedantic.  Take your pick.  According to the National Weather Service, Hurricane Force Winds start at 75 mph.  So I don't think that 29-30 mph qualifies as "near", when speacking of "near hurricane winds".

phred952

• Fencer100
    2,063 Posts
    Fri, Oct 21 2016 4:20 AM

In my playing days I was a low handicap golfer, 2 at my best and I was a member of Saunton Golf Club in North Devon. This is a links course, now 2 courses, but I can remember playing in 30mph+ winds and, yes it was breezy, but you learnt to play it. As we said it sorted the men from the boys.

Yes it's tricky playing high winds on here, but like many things it just has to be learnt and anyway this is just a game and you just have to take the rough with the smooth. you can't always have the conditions you want and hit minus silly numbers.

RSS