Forums

Help › Forums

The New GS Wind/Putting Calculator

Sat, Oct 1 2016 12:26 AM (127 replies)
  • GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 7:52 PM

Gary and/or Scott, You have a clock there and a drop down box for one hour increments. Is there any way I myself or you could make it in 1/2 hour increments?

I love this Wind/Distance calculator after changing the Distance Factor for my Clubs and Balls so that it calculates more accurately. But I always find that I'm in between clock hours. Just a suggestion.

• ScottHope
    10,147 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 11:17 PM

There are three formulas to calculate the wind offset in the '12hr clock'. If you want ½hr incremements we will need three more, unless you would be content for the offset yardage to be halfway between the hours either side.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 6:47 AM

PRStevenson:

I did the same thing a long time before this was posted but just kept it for personal use. I guess I just feel that people should learn to play the game themselves and put in the practice or join a CC and get help from other members.

Working out the shots in your head is part of the fun and although this isn't breaking the rules, it kind of has the feel of a cheat sheet.

For those who are more competitive and want to win at any cost (rather than just enjoying it, learning to play well and calculating the simple mental arithmetic in their heads) will probably find this invaluable and I suppose credit should go to those who have put in the effort to put this together but it's definitely not for me.

Nothing Personal, but you're bonkers mate. 

First, this program basically does the same thing I did with a calculator before I found it, just uses a clock, whereas I guess at wind amounts for non 6/12 winds. Second, I can't do  (183 yards) 1.83  * 9 - 24 in my head. Good for you if you can do trig and that multiplication in your head. 

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 5:06 PM

What would be more fun? 

Scenario 1.  Using a quick, simple calculator where all you need to do is type in the wind speed, wind direction (minutes, degrees, mils, whatever your calculator has), and distance.  You can do the elevation in your head (that math really is easy).

Scenario 2.  Take a wind at 17 mph traveling at 30 degrees at 175y no elevation.  If you do the math in your head you have to multiple so many factors. 17 * .5 (sin) = 8.5 (cross). Next is 17* .86 (cos) = 14 (tail).  Then you need to use more math to adjust for your distance.

175 is easy enough because that 8.5 turns into around 9Y left or right. If it was at 100Y you'd have to adjust that number down, etc.  Then for the Head/Tail wind you need to do even more math and adjust for the given distance.  I use %67 Head and %37 Tail.  So that 14Y adjusted wind above turns into 14 * .635 (.37 @ 100y, .55 @ 150y, .635 @ 175y, .72@ 200Y, etc) = 8.89Y, or subtract 9y from your initial calculations.

Could I do all this math in my head?  Nope.  I could use a traditional calculator and do it but it would take quite a bit of time for every single shot.  To me that is not quick, easy, simple, and certainly not fun.

Long post because I see lot's of people hate on calculators, rulers, etc and I don't get the hate.  If you're an exceptionally bright person, or engineer (both!?) and can do all the calculations in your head than I'm a bit jealous and impressed ^^.  I don't enjoy taking 4-5 minutes a shot and/or timing out of simple things like ALT matches (w/ 90 sec clocks!).

These tools speed up the game (by tremendous amounts for me) and make the overall experience very enjoyable.  If I couldn't use any tools it would be such a tedious experience for every shot that I'd quit.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 10:44 AM

Solarflares:

The organic process of mentally calculating a shot - this connects the player to the experience fully.  This helps in the execution of the shot itself.

To delegate this process to one of inputting numbers into a side-program - this takes away responsibility and breaks the mental-flow.

I'm taking it your a true golfer?  Perhaps you might be a gaming (this game) Golf purist then?  I don't connect with anything you said here.  Even when playing high end PC games with beautiful graphics potential, especially when played on Ultra settings to make every single person, gun, tree, tile, tower, tank, windows, etc..... look amazing I always pass.

I will throw on the lowest graphics settings (except for a few important ones) to ensure lowest latency, no lag, and in general, ensure my game is maximized for optimal performance.  That's what it's all about in all games anyways, maximizing your bottom line and performing to your potential via Streamlining, Execution, and Results.

Inputting numbers into a calculator is nothing more than doing math quicker.  That's it.  It has nothing to do with depth, scratching surfaces, or responsibility/character (like zero - both these make no sense to me). 

So I'm just a bit confused how entering a few numbers into a calculator will have a detrimental impact on my Character and Personal Accountability (responsibility)?

So when it comes to calculators it seems most people either love them (performance driven), or hate them (purist and prefer more to take in the experience).  Still don't get the hate for them.  Pro-golfers have caddies with insane course knowledge, to include perfect mappings/yardages from almost anywhere on every single hole. 

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 12:33 PM

Didn't know WGT had so many people who can do complex math in their head. 

Must be a bunch of doctors and Engineers playing this game. 

• GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 3:05 PM

It's complicated. lol. I get it. I found a little clock wind thing my Young46. That'll be good enough. As far as calculated distance I pretty much do that myself with no calculation spreadsheet. Although on occasion I will check it against your formula and see how close it is. I only use my hand calculator to multiply for green speeds.

RSS