Forums

Help › Forums

Marketing and advertisment

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 19 2009 9:07 AM (7 replies)
  • Bloodbrew
    9 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 11:25 AM

Would love it one day if I went into my local course and saw a sign that read " Play Our Course Online at WGT.com"

Let courses pay to get their course online. Would be great for pros and travelers to know the course before they play it. I would love for my friends out of state that come down to be able to see a course before we play. (Not sure what the cost, materials, and man-hours would be for a project like that but would love to know)

I would also like to see equipment sales online as I see them in real life. For example you buy a set of FT-irons you get a FT-iQ driver free, Buy a set of cleavland irons and get an upgrade in the next 2 years free, no questions asked.  Companies can keep us informed of their products and their sales, with digital goods. Prices here should mimic their counterparts in real life, if the iWi putter is $169 it should be 169 ($1.69) credits in the game (-1 dot for balance if you do not get the $70 / 0.70 credits tool kit).

Just make it to where I can play a round indoors when it rains, not have to clean my clubs after, and the ability to hit the ball like I wish I could in real life with a set of clubs I won't get till Chrismas. Thanks WGT

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:11 PM

I read somewhere that the average cost to create a course can range from $200k to $500k.  I'd imagine your local club would have to eat that cost and more to get their course in the game.

I'd love to have a plethora of options too, but I don't think it's financially feasible for your local municipals.

• Bloodbrew
    9 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 4:10 PM

Not sure where you got your facts or figures from but that does not sound right. With a frame and engine already developed it should be a straight forward process of data from the field to the game. Municipal would be out of the question already as the state / taxpayer would have to shell out the cost.  Local privately owned public courses can make that choice though.

Half a million dollars to add a course? I hate to flame your post but it seems like speculation has fired from your finger tips. I normally enjoy a good negative or constructive post.  By all means if you have a post or a thread to educate me differently please repost so that we may all see the facts to a link or SOMEthing.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 4:55 PM

Well, it seems as though my memory has failed me at the top range of that estimate, but either way here's my "work." ;-)

It takes a dozen people six months and $200,000 to make one World Golf course simulation, says Cheng.

Yu-Chiang Cheng is one of the co-founders of WGT.  The article is from early 2008, which explains my memory failure.  I read that a long, long time ago. =)

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 6:02 PM

Here is the link.  ARTICLE

Relatively speaking, the cost of building this game is low. It takes roughly six months and $200,000 to make one World Golf Tour course simulation. (They've already completed four of the 10 licensed courses through investments from Series A lender Battery Ventures and Series B leader Panorama Capital.) A next console game, like Tiger Woods, can cost upward of $10 million for its initial creation, slightly less to develop sequels.

• Bloodbrew
    9 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 4:59 AM

200k is a far cry from 500k, thanks for coming back with the link. 200k for private owned public courses and the 2 private club courses (that I have never played) is do-able. That would come to about 29 dollars/yard of play. Hole sponsors and patrons can get behind this to see it happen.

Technology is based on an 18 month time frame that increases with microprocessors, so we should never really see a price drop there. We can however expect an increase in speed, stability, and lower the cost from manhours on a project like this with as newer software develops.

Thanks again for the info on that from the both of you.

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 7:40 AM

That's a great article, my productivity is suffering as we speak. :]

• Qpgolf
    1 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 9:07 AM

I would also like to be able to hit the clubs before you buy them, take them to the range or something...

A driving range simulation would be nice too.. That way you can work on shots over and over again without dealing with the trees, fairway, etc.

RSS