Forums

Help › Forums

Putting hell

Sun, Apr 10 2011 10:19 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Chunder27
    1 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2011 5:01 PM

Have tried the game for a few weeks now and have to say for a free bit of software it really is very good

I like hte fact you can do quite a bit without having to inevitably pay, and you can play along quite happily without getting too intoit.

My gripe though is with the putting. It really is utterly abysmal!

It is simply impossible unless you ar:

a) lucky

b) able to play a wonder shot to within a few feet

to get anything other than par or bogey on most holes, even on the easier courses.

Now I realise this is realistic to apoint, but when you can hit every fairway, get on the green with a chance of birdie and pretty much 2 putt 99% of the time it kind of takes the edge of the realism.

It seems the physics involved are just a little wrong, similar to chipping at times when you end up hacking two or three chips into the rough when you have selected the right shot and got your power spot on as you would otherwise, and the thing goes about a foot.

As I say, the game is excellent otherwise. Far better than most console games on the market for proper money and even then they make you pay for extra courses and stuff.

But the putting and chip shot selection lets it down a little.

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 3:41 AM

The more you play, the easier you'll find putting will become. Three pieces of advice:

a) Read this thread (http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

b) For you putting to improve dramatically, take the plunge and buy a better putter. If you don't want to put in real money, there are plenty of surverys / offers that you can use to get the necessary credits

c) Play rounds (stroke, match or alt shot) with better players than yourself; 99% of people will always give you help and advice on how to improve your game.

• stuffix
    762 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 4:53 AM

Regarding the putting, I really don't think a "better" putter change anything at that level. I had the beginner till reaching Master then bought the spider but came back to the beginner until reaching Tour Master and the tournament greens.

It's pretty easy to get the ding with the beginner, so you know where to make the change if you haven't the good line. The starter putter is a mess imo, though.

Regarding the chiping and the pitching, this thread should be helpful:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx

• Cliffs1953
    13 Posts
    Sat, Apr 9 2011 5:38 AM

Putting is definitely the largest learning curve. I find if I don't hit the ding, it don't go ion...period. I can read the greens well but it's my timing that needs help.

• ALbert054
    4 Posts
    Sat, Apr 9 2011 3:44 PM

Have you ever done on of those "free" survey/offers you talk about? I have.... I spent a few hours one night trying to get "free credits"...

The surveys are BS, It's advertising that in no way affects your credits because you can never finish them... EVEN if you DID manage to finish one, your at a third-party website that in NO WAY connects back to WGT... you finish the survey and go back to the same bleeping screen that shows you the different offers.... a complete circle jerk for lack of a better term.

... a side not on the FREE survey bs... You get to a point in every offer where you have to buy something or give your credit card info before embarking on your "free" trail.

so why not just drop 10 dollars right into WGT's pockets...Hmmmmmmm wonder why you can't finish the surveys to get "Free" credits........

Those BS surveys are set up in a way where you either have to pay the company whose website your at to actually "complete" the survey or you have to not do the surveys in the first place and drop 10 bucks on a club set....

Which is what I and you and everyone else has done.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Apr 9 2011 4:40 PM

So then spend some money if you enjoy the game it is worth it.

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Sat, Apr 9 2011 5:04 PM

I am still struggling with my putting Chunder, and have been here a little while as well as having tried all the perceived best putters.

A good putter will always make a difference no doubt, apart from the spider that is. However, taking the time to understand how it works, together with the innate skill that some players have over others, will make it better. 

But in the end it is what it is and, to quote a famous quote, don't forget that golf is a game played on a 6 inch course - the space between your ears, so whether you think you can or you think you can't - you are correct.

Have fun here my friend.

Sanco

• misstery
    705 Posts
    Sat, Apr 9 2011 5:07 PM

Chunder27:
    But the putting and chip shot selection lets it down a little.
    stick with the beginner putter till you reach level 55 and can unlock the Daytona Rossa

Beginner putter is the best of the bunch

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Apr 10 2011 1:07 AM

misstery:

stick with the beginner putter till you reach level 55 and can unlock the Daytona Rossa

Beginner putter is the best of the bunch

+1 to that. I wasted money on the Spider, also bought a Redwood but ended up with the Daytona. The Redwood is good, don't get me wrong, but I think the Daytona is better.

The Spider? Splat it with your shoe.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sun, Apr 10 2011 1:59 AM

Amen yet again!

I just wish I could stockpile beginner putters and sell them to disenchanted spyder owners.I have sworn by(and at) my beginner since we first met(it was a balmy afternoon on Oakmont,and we just fell in love right there,buzzing bees and the scent of honeysuckle,who could resist?).Anyway,the thing is,after extensive trialling,personally I found the Beginner to be best suited to me mainly due to the slower meter,which just left me to get the read right-a longer process than one would suppose.

Then Tiffer made me think and I agreed with myself(we argue a lot but mostly we get along dandy) that I should try the fancy one I had in my bag.I did,and have found that the meter speed is not too bad,and it does let the odd mis hit go in the pot where it wouldnt have done so with the beginner.On long putts over say 50feets,it holds the line better,where the beginner tends to lose interest about half way,gets distracted,and goes off to play with the daisies.

As to the OP,I know its tiresome,but trial and error really are the only way to improve,coupled with a thorough read through of the FAQ,which after all has been written by the people with an awful lot of experience-all free,so who can knock that?

Whether or not this game is true to life I cannot say,my own real life game does not tally with my expectations in the same way,and sometimes I think I must be in another dimension whilst on the real grass.I can however smell the honeysuckle,feel the thorns in the rough,and talk sweet nothings to my putter.Maybe it's time Wgt applied some thinking to "aroma" applications?I would like that.

And finally,today is so nice,I might just go sailing,after bringing in the tents I hung out to dry last night and then forgot to bring in.

Lizzie xx

• PAGES
RSS