Forums

Help › Forums

Think This Should Be Sticky Thread...Wind and Elevation.

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 13 2011 8:43 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Prayer
    1 Posts
    Wed, Mar 9 2011 11:22 PM

Basically how does everyone play wind and elevation. Just in general, or you could even ask for each course.  Its something thats not covered like Pitch and Chip or Putting. I think this is something that defines the average from the above average line. I definitly think this should be a main post or "sticky" thread. I know there are many factors and variations with clubs and balls, equip..ect, but just be general about how u add distance or subtract for each shot. Such as.....for every 5 mph of  tailwind i subtract "X" amount for every 100 yrds. And for every 5 ft of elevation i add  "X" amount to  the distance for every 100 yrds.

Instead of being reclusive about it, lets help everyone out. Say your opinion and if its wrong maybe someone with more experience will correct you.It doesnt need to be a secret and im not saying it is, because at the end of the day...all things equal its about hitting that meter on the dot (or playing it how u may) for what ever shot u may play.

Appreciate your time and advise.

• jcgfree
    1,109 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 3:26 AM

For elevation I have learned that for every 3 feet up in elevation you should add a yard and for every 4 feet down, subtract a yard. As far as into the wind and a tailwind. I have just gone by trial and error of playing a lot of games. But there are some people out there that have formula's for all of it. For me it's all a matter of experience and knowing my meter. Some people use pieces of tape and a calculator for distances. I have just used experience.Good luck.

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 4:22 AM

Well, I'm in two minds; I have one half and Lizzie went and nicked my other half.  And t'was the best half too.  And I think she gave me half of her's in return, the half that digresses.

So, about praying.  Oops, no, that was the posters name.  Oh dear, forgot what we were talking about.  Ah yes, sticky winds and whatnots.  Well, don't know, I think it's more fun for individuals to go and find out how to cope with wind and elevation.  In the real game you don't carry a piece of paper around saying how much to allow for similar.  It's all about feel.  Maybe play and talk to friends, share ideas.  But remember, there's more than one way to skin a cat.  That's cruel.  And Blu Tac may be better since it doesn't rip the wallpaper off.

That's enough rambling, I'm off for a long walk.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 8:16 AM

Not with half of my mind you don't! walk indeed,but I digress.Wait a minute...

There are actually threads with much ado about both Subjects over here >>>>>>>>>>>> although I could be wrong,but have always wanted to do that arrow thing.

From my own experience which admittedly is not a lot compared to some,I have found the winds to be too erratic for any kind of fixed formula to have much meaning other than giving one a sense of having contributed to a good shot-a rarity in itself.However,what the second poster says is as good a method as any for the elevation factor,given that the whole thing depends on your own ability to hit the right mark.

I think it would be fair to say that getting to the greens is more achievable than putting expertly and for this reason would urge anyone to concentrate on putting from long distances as well as close in,and in this way,one has most angles covered.

All in all(is all we all are) the game does seem to reflect with astonishing accuracy,my real game in that unseen winds and unfathomable elevations both have a bit of a bite,and a marked reluctance to conform to my wishes,desires and estimations.Keep it real Wgt...

Lizzie xx

• oakdesign
    6 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2011 12:57 PM

For for head  and tail wind I calculate with the following values

5mph = +-2%, 7mph=+-3%, 10mph=+-4%, 12mph=+-5%, 15mph = +-6%

For side wind calculate with the sinus i.e 20 mph from 45 degree = 20*0,7=14 so add subtract 5% to from distance.

For elevation that depend much more on the clubs and their trajectory. With my wedges and iron set I don't take the elevation into account for distances below 130yds.
    Over 130 I add 1 yd for 2 ft uphill and subtract 1yd for 3 ft downhill.

Ok I know that is alot of math on a 30 second shot clock but as I have studied mathematics I can work with it.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2011 3:49 PM

oakdesign:

For for head  and tail wind I calculate with the following values

5mph = +-2%, 7mph=+-3%, 10mph=+-4%, 12mph=+-5%, 15mph = +-6%

For side wind calculate with the sinus i.e 20 mph from 45 degree = 20*0,7=14 so add subtract 5% to from distance.

For elevation that depend much more on the clubs and their trajectory. With my wedges and iron set I don't take the elevation into account for distances below 130yds.
    Over 130 I add 1 yd for 2 ft uphill and subtract 1yd for 3 ft downhill.

Ok I know that is alot of math on a 30 second shot clock but as I have studied mathematics I can work with it.

I'm thinking by the time people do all that equation/percentages stuff they'll be so dog tired all they'll wanna do is go for a sleep.

I just use my judgement and it seems to work fine. Don't really care if I'm 4 ft from a hole or 3.5487 ft from a hole :)

I'm sure other players will find it useful though.

tbe

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2011 4:26 PM

oakdesign:

Lol, its simple addition/subtraction, it ain't differentiation.....

• oakdesign
    6 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2011 5:09 PM

JuanMendoza:

I agree and a bit of fractional arethmetic

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2011 5:38 PM

JuanMendoza:

oakdesign:

Come on, the first formula is for elevation and the second is for wind. Lets get it right people!!!!

or the easier formula 

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2011 6:57 PM

Dear dead Daddy always said, " with a head wind whack the hell out of it, with a tail wind treat like a pretty woman, gently."

• PAGES
RSS