Forums

Help › Forums

Putting woes

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 11 2009 6:31 AM (5 replies)
  • juansky
    6 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2009 9:09 PM

The putting is too realistic in the sense that putts lip out way too often. Also, hitting the stick never drops the ball into the cup. Bad enough we don't have many views to choose from when it comes to putting, the character is always crooked and we never get a shot down the line of the putt, it's always a crooked view. I suggest improving the putting line by letting the user choose better perspectives and not crooked ones. Who in the world would line up a putt with a 3/4 angle?

Either the putting needs to be easier or get us some better down the line perspectives. Also, you should have an auto put for putts 1 foot from the cup. It's a waste of time to putt out such a short putt. Frankly, you guys need to hire a game designer who knows about golf.

• zkron
    1 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2009 10:19 PM

I agree. Putting is inordinately difficult compared to the rest of the game.  Please make it more forgiving.  I am even using the top of the line putter.

• steelerspens
    33 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2009 10:42 PM

you cannot make the putting too easy. thats when scores get out of hand like tiger woods pga tour or something. you make 40ft putts on that like its easy. i agree with the angles, but the putting must be somewhat difficult.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Aug 11 2009 12:38 AM

I strongly disagree with both juansky & zkron. My view is that putting is just fine in this game; not too easy and not too difficult.

As to "better viewing angles", it looks like you haven't discovered the SPACEBAR shortcut yet?    Press the SPACEBAR when you're about to putt, and you get a view from behind the hole that is not crooked at all. I always putt with the view from behind the hole activated. The view from the player's perspective is often crooked, indeed, and therefore misleading and might make putting seem more difficult than it really is.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Tue, Aug 11 2009 12:49 AM

Hi,

Like Faterson - I dont think there is anything wrong with the putting at all. Its not meant to be easy, but with practice you should at  very worse, two putt every hole - its really not to hard.

The trick is of course to put your second / third shot within 5 ft every time - then its as easy as ABC :-)

Search box - top right - key words. Lots and lots of great advice on the forums by all the best players. Well worth a look.

Again as Faterson suggests, never putt from the players perspective - space bar, and look back along the line of the putt to the player. That way you get a really great read on the line. Practice my friend - thats the key.

Cheers Doug

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Aug 11 2009 6:31 AM

juansky:

Bad enough we don't have many views to choose from when it comes to putting, the character is always crooked and we never get a shot down the line of the putt, it's always a crooked view. I suggest improving the putting line by letting the user choose better perspectives and not crooked ones. Who in the world would line up a putt with a 3/4 angle?

Either the putting needs to be easier or get us some better down the line perspectives. /..../ Frankly, you guys need to hire a game designer who knows about golf.

To address the angle issue... What you need to keep in mind is the 'backdrop' that you are seeing is a real High definition picture of the golf course.  This is not CGI graphics that can be manipulated my your local machine using computer software.  So the end result is that they (WGT) can only take so many pictures of a green from many different angles and then choose the picture that best fits the circumstances.  If they were to take pictures of every conceivable angle, which lets face it is impossible to do anyways, this game would quickly turn into even more of a resource hog than it already is.  Oh yeah, and multiply that by 18 holes by 2 full courses, not to mention skill challenges.  Seems like a lot of work to me and probably why we see the same pin placements day in and day out.

Just my 2 cents, not trying to be an *** or anything.

Lee

RSS