Forums

Help › Forums

Something I don't understand

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 21 2009 11:04 PM (9 replies)
  • TravisBickle
    2 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2009 5:22 PM

I click the mouse perfectly in the middle where it says excellent. yet the friggin ball does not go where I aimed it. What's the friggin point then? This happens even on putts and tee shots where the lie is not a factor. Or I'll just miss by a sliver and the balls shanks from the fairway, but sometimes I'll be way off and the ball ends up being perfect. I don't get it.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2009 5:39 PM

Neither does anyone else. But some here like it that way.

• TW1432
    130 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2009 5:40 PM

I'm thinking that your problem for the tee/fairway is your not accounting for wind direction and speed.

For the green your probably not reading the break correctly.

Hope I helped!

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Aug 10 2009 6:17 PM

Hi Travis,

This is a well know 'feature' to veterans of this site called 'deviation' or 'the Beast'.  I could go on and on and on about it, but it's all been said before... you just need to search either of the two phases above and you'll have a night full of reading material.... you probably won't even get another round in tonight if you read it all.

Have fun!

Lee

• jasondement
    322 Posts
    Tue, Aug 11 2009 8:23 PM

Avatarlee hit the nail on the head but im here to tell you it can be beat or at least you can learn to work with it. Just look at the stats of some of th better players they have good and bad rounds just like in real life. Thats why they say this is the most realistic golf game around. if you shot 18 under every time would it really be fun. Hope I helped you understand what so many of us have had to learn the hard way lol

Jason

• TravisBickle
    2 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 4:59 PM

Ok here's the thing, I like that it's realistic but the game is friggin hard enough as it is. I mean Bethpage back nine is friggin impossible. And you got a 500 yard par 4, the only way you can compete is if you buy new clubs. But my question there, is if you upgrade, does the variance BS still come into effect? Why should I even bother trying to hit it smack in the middle if its not gonna go where I aimed it anyway? If they want to use variance, fine, but do it once in awhile, not every friggin time I hit it in the middle it doesnt go where I aimed it. That defeats the purpose of aiming. That's not realistic. If I'm playing real golf and I'm set up perfectly and hit the ball perfectly, it goes where I wanted it to. If they want a realistic variance, the ball should sometimes go farther than you expect if you hit it too good, or shorter than expected. But for them to include a variance where I hit the ball perfectly, it's basically a shank, and when I'm nowhere near the line it goes perfect. That's not variance that's BS and it's stupid.

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 6:22 PM

it is still there with better clubs but not even close to what it is with the bad clubs

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 6:40 PM

... and who is Speedy and why are you his chic?

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 8:30 AM

Travis,

Have a look at the clubs in the proshop and you will see a stat associated with them call "Precision".  The higher the precision of the club, the less deviation.  I find it to be generally true, but every once in a while it still throws a real head scratcher at me... I just deal with it and move on.  

Lee

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 11:04 PM

Travis,

I respond to this because we both play with the freebee clubs and I can appreciate your frustration. For me the sin was in the "excellent" point of hit. The hit moment has three possible outcomes. Early, which goes left, excellent, which goes straight, and late which goes right. My problem was  trying to hit "excellent" all the time, I found it to be impossible to do. I now only hit "excellent" by accident. If a shot requires movement right or left, I simply counteract that requirement. In heavy wind it is invaluable. On hard breaking putts, especially 10 ft or less the results are remarkable.

~SP~

RSS