Thu, Aug 6 2009 9:39 AM (4 replies)
  • NJWallace
    5 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2009 3:31 PM

Anyone got advice on BB 5?

• Hydronix
    39 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2009 6:29 AM

Depends what tees you're playing. I'm quite content with landing my approach in the hillside bunker. From there, I play a flop shot, and almost always get up and down. Anywhere around the green is a moderately safe position. What you don't want to do is end up in any weeds or deep rough. If you can't get close enough in to have a middle iron, play into that greenside bunker, and try a flop shot.

Hope this helps

• DrewShirley
    1 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2009 9:29 AM

I try to aim for the rough in between the two front bunkers. If the ball lands there, it will usually end up on the right side of the green and I can 2-putt. One time I got a strange kick left and the ball ended up 8 feet from the hole. That's the only time I've birdied that hole.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2009 2:57 PM

this is a good hole to ask... how do you estimate distance give a 24ft+ uphill green?   hitting uphill and factoring in elevation is much trickier the higher you go up in irons.  any tips?

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2009 9:39 AM

I simply take 1/2 of the elevation and add that number of yards to  the distance of the shot...this however is not the real test of this hole and many others...when there is a steep incline to an elevated green you will often find your shot coming up short  becasue it hits a large incline upon impact....this is made even more difficult when there is no fairway entry to the hole and the ball not only impacts an incline but rough as well.  In addition, some off these greens are simply impossible to "hold" if you carry your approach to the green, especially with a long iron or wood.  Therefore one must either get lucky and hit the incline/rough at such a point that the ball can still move forward but at a reduced speed allowing it to come to rest before going through the green  or one ends up short in the rough....thus the optimal approach may be to play into a bunker, as was suggested, and use the flop shot which if properly executed can put you in easy distance to save par.

HBthree

RSS