Forums

Help › Forums

Kiawah Penalty for hitting into stream cutting through par 5

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 27 2009 4:19 PM (5 replies)
  • bfrogers60
    122 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 4:42 PM

I believe that the progarm should not penalize  a  shot that does not clear the water hazard (the program currently treats this as a lost ball with a stroke and distance penalty), but should follow the rules for water hazards where the play "should be able to drop behind where the ball entered the hazard" et al.

If I were to improve the overall game play, I would build in these penalty options, so that a player could select between the alternatives that are provided by the rules of golf.

I believe that I previously had a game many years ago (not online) that did provide for these options.

A match play option for multiple player games would also be a great addition.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 6:06 PM

Perhaps there is a 'local rule' that lists that stream as OOB, instead of lateral water?

Just saying.... lol

• MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 6:51 PM

Inside the perimeter of a golf course is rarely, if ever, out of bounds.  Out of bounds means exactly what its name implies.  

I agree that WGT should implement the rules of golf, especially in water hazards.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 11:37 PM

Actually Mal.. I have two muni's within spitting distance that have on-course OOB.  Both of which are 'local rules' and both involve side-by-side fairways, and one even has the water OOB.

This is why they are called 'local rules'... specific to that course.

Have a nice day.

• monkeyass
    31 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2009 10:24 AM

I'm not sure how to interpret this but straight from the source http://www.kiawahresort.com/golf/the-ocean-course/hole-by-hole-review.php

Hole 2

From the back tee, the golfer is as far from the Atlantic as The Ocean Course permits, yet the view from here looks right into the rolling surf, framed between ancient live oaks that line both sides of the fairway.  From the tee, the player will have to decide how much of the salt marsh he wants to bite off with his tee shot.  Then, after a good drive, he will face another option – lay up short of a finger of marsh that bisects the fairway some 125 yards out from the green or fire across the hazard with a long iron or fairway wood.  Either way, the third shot will be a delicate one to an elevated green set between two dune ridges, front and back.

They call it a hazard, not OOB...  

• MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2009 4:19 PM

Yes, I'm familiar with on course OOB, usually to keep golfers from hitting others on a particularly dangerous side-by-side fairway, like trying to reach the green on a dogleg by playing over another fairway.

But I don't think that's the case at Kiawah.  In any event, golf rules give the player options when he hits into a water hazard.  Those options would be nice in our game.

RSS