Forums

Help › Forums

Proper club selection from different lies

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 14 2009 7:30 AM (6 replies)
  • pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Tue, Jul 14 2009 7:31 PM

Improper club selection is likely something that beginners have learned the hard way, such when you try to use a wood out of the rough and it only travels a few yards. I'm not sure if these suggestions are already on the boards, but anyway, here are some suggestions:

- A driver should only be used when you're teeing off.

- A fairway wood should only be used when teeing off or hitting from the fairway.

- A hybrid club should not be used to get out of deep rough or bunker. Use an iron instead.

- A pitch or chip shot is always more effective than a flop shot.

- When you putt from the fringe, make sure you use lots of power or the ball well come up well short.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jul 14 2009 7:56 PM

All in all a very good list.  A good 'rule of thumb' if you will.

I would alter one thing, though, and please don't take offense.

NEVER putt from the fringe.  Always chip/pitch depending on length to the hole.

Just my 2¢.

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2009 9:43 AM

hi

while i appriciate you helping others, i only agree with your first coment in regard to driver.

others are just wrong. the fringe thing with putter, has a quantifying force, so saying hitting it with "lots of power" is misleading:)

• sealseal
    67 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 2:44 PM

Another tip is if you are hitting into a head wind on a par 4 for your second shot, i usually use a bigger club than i need to use to get to the green and i wood put back spin on it.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 5:01 PM

Back spin? Are you sure? I heard the recommended practice was to use top spin when there's head wind (so that the ball "flies under it"), and back spin when there's tail wind. Works for me.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 5:24 PM

If you want a lower trajectory when hitting into the wind, just move the ball back in your stance. lol

• sealseal
    67 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 7:30 AM

Ya but since there is a head wind, I used a bigger club than needed and put back spin on it, but thats what I do. I could try your way Faterson

RSS