Forums

Help › Forums

Front V's Reverse - Your thoughts ?

Sat, Jan 30 2010 7:58 PM (9 replies)
  • DixieWhizzKid
    18 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 5:54 PM

I know,i know,not another putting thread you say lol but i searched all day reading various threads choc full of advice & peoples opinions but never found exactly what i was looking for so here goes..

I myself read my putts from both sides as im sure 90% of players do but i started noticing the drastic change in break direction & speed.Im not just talking a few grid lines,im talking about putts reading left to right from front on & then still reading left to right from reverse angle lol As if putting wasnt hard enough already...

You ever seen this ? how often ? Do you read the putt based on the default view or the reverse ? I myself base my lines off of the reverse angle & tend to putt pretty well for a noob but im forever short - already read that thread & still havent learned a thing hahaha Typical beginner :D

Cheers

Joe

• TechnicalFoul
    16 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 6:14 PM

Haven't noticed anything different.  My putts still won't fall.  I actually think they should make putting more difficult, especially from long range.

• Griz0613
    80 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 6:15 PM

I've noticed something similar. I usually take my read from the reverse angle it seems to be right more times than the other. You may be having issues with not hitting the excellent mark though? That throws putts off quite a bit

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 6:44 PM

Yeah, actually this happens now and then, but unfortunately you can't snap a screenshot because it won't show which way the grid lines are breaking, so everyone thinks you're crazy. :)

If you are behind the hole and slightly to the right on BP #15, you'll get a putt that breaks left in reverse view, but shows a break right in front view.  The putt will actually break left, but the front view can really make you second guess yourself.

It happens in other places, but I've seen it on BP #15 the most.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 12:02 PM

This is driving me nuts... but please don't think me crazy just yet. lol

Hole #2 @ Kiawah.

Front view: Hopefully, you can imagine the grid-dots moving from right to left. They were.

Reverse view: This is the same shot with grid-dots also moving right to left!

I didn't know which to trust, so I guessed and went with the Front view... I guessed wrong!

Here's two pics of my "comeback" putt after missing the cup... Front View: (dots moving left to right)

... and Reverse View: (dots moving right to left)

On the comeback putt the grid-dots were correctly moving in opposite directions.

At this point, I'd have to say to trust the reverse view, because, like nivlac, I came to the same conclusion on BPB 15 where I noticed the same aberration. SO BE AWARE OF K2 AND BPB15 PUTTS! Some will know of and adhere to what we speak... some won't... and those who don't will wonder w-t-f. ;)

BTW... I've sent right-click reports for both holes... this needs fixed.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 12:12 PM

Oh... thought I'd throw this into the mix, as well...

... since the update, which brought us the new views... here's another weird one that needs WGT's attention:

Notice the "between the legs" putt I made in this replay screenshot! It appears that the avatar's "positioning" hasn't been accounted for, with the "behind the green cam view"... (I believe this was on Kiawah #3):

... pretty tricky, eh? :]

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 12:44 PM

Sure glad I found this thread and people have made some good reports here (good job submitting the bugs PA as well!)

I have also seen this, not sure which I went with (front I think) but it will be reverse from now on! 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 1:16 PM

Pug -I think you're looking at what actually counts wrong. You need the line in place to figure your break only because dots can be running in both directions but only the ones near your line count.  Hold the putting line in place and study the balls that cross it, blocking out the other ones. You will see an increase in putts dropping with 2 breaks in the path. I've learned that my eye can be influenced by the speed of dots in the background such as you would see if your putting line ran along the base of a side hill lie, parallel to the side.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 2:09 PM

Yeah YJ. I do what yer saying. It's just that the gridballs are rollin' over my line in the same direction, whether I view them in "frontal" or "reverse". They should ALWAYS be rollin' across my putt-line in opposite directions, in opposite views, right? Makes the decision to putt left or right of the cup kinda difficult.

I learned to try to ignore all the "extraneous" dots long ago, especially on kiawah front 9. Alas, it hasn't helped my putting there. The "ones that count" still cause me problems. LOL.

Excellent tip, however.

1,644 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 7:58 PM

I would say, when there is a conflict in views the reverse view is correct 85-90% of the time.  I always use reverse for putting!

RSS