Help › Forums

Information about release 7/30/2015

Tue, Aug 18 2015 8:16 PM (142 replies)
  • hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2015 8:23 PM

pdb1:

hakman123:

Rubbish!   There is only one way to calculate the "average" of a set of numbers. One adds them up, and then divides by how many numbers there are!  In WGT there is the slight twist, that only the 500 best scores as Tour Legend are used for the calculation of your WGT average.

OK - so I will allow that this could be varied by WGT. Not the calculation of the average - but the number of scores used.

Let's say that WGT decided that the best 700 scores would now be used - now this would cause a lot of averages to go up because some higher scores are now being included that were previously being discarded.

hakman123:
    This would be a handy explanation - but sadly this is not true either!

So why did you say it ?

Support (WGT)

Jun 14, 16:31

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us at WGT. We use an algorithm to determine when a player is eligible to move to a new tier, which takes into account a number of factors including number of ranked games played. These numbers scale by tier, so it's necessary to shoot a lower average to advance and to play more games to reach higher tiers. For example, when you reach Tour Master, you will need to play a larger number of ranked rounds than you had as a Master, maintaining a low average, to tier up to Legend.

Additionally, in response to WGT player feedback about sandbagging (misrepresenting one’s true ability to gain advantage by playing at a lower tier from closer tee boxes), WGT is using more than just ranked stroke play scores to determine each player’s average score and appropriate tier ranking.

For obvious reasons, WGT is not sharing exact details of these changes, but they include factoring in scores from players who perform well in tournaments and challenge games for credits. We still encourage the community’s feedback on Sandbagging, but believe this is an important step to reducing the practice and keeping the game fair.

Finally, most of our top players have posted close estimates for players to try to gauge their progress in advancing tiers. Here is a good thread to read:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/9085/707139.aspx#707139

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Thank you for playing World Golf Tour.

Regards, 

WGT Member Services

hakman123:
    I only had 333 ranked rounds as a TL. So my average was "UNSATURATED". ie. There were NO SCORES BEING DISCARDED!!!!  How can my average possibly have gone up??

WGTShamWow:
    -Some of you may have noticed your Average change. Since there was no higher tier to move up to, there was a different calculation to your average. Now that there is a new tier to move up to, the calculation has changed which may have caused a higher average for some players. This change to average became visible after the next ranked round was played. 

For obvious reasons, WGT is not sharing exact details of these changes, but they include factoring in scores from players who perform well in tournaments and challenge games for credits

Finally, most of our top players have posted close estimates for players to try to gauge their progress in advancing tiers.

Your response shows your ignorance of the process.

The "WGT secret details" of how they promote -- has zero relationship to the calculation of a player's average.  They decide to promote you and you find your self promoted - they DO NOT modify your average in any way due to wins / losses etc...

As stated above - the calculation of an "Average of a set of numbers" is mathematically pure. There is no smoke & mirrors.

We have already worked out now exactly what WGT did. Rather than all your rubbish about secret processes - we got on and worked out the details.

For all Tour Legends with more than 200 Ranked Rounds - WGT took the WORST 200 Rounds (out of a maximum of 500 Ranked Rounds for saturated players) currently counting towards your average. They calculated your new average based on these 200 rounds. Then all players were saturated at 200 RRs.

All these players require a further 200 RRs to progress to Champion tier.

And "Why did I say it" regarding the possible explanation -- because it is an explanation being believed by a lot of people because it makes sense - but it is not true. Increasing the number of RRs would have increased people's average  --- but it would not increase the average of an unsaturated player - this is how we know that was a bogus explanation. By elimination of the suggested solutions that did not work - we finally arrived at the correct solution which worked for all the numbers. It was an important part of finding what actually happened - because WGT would not tell us.

Please before you start tearing down people who ARE trying to share information (true information - not spin) try thinking about what is actually being posted. If you do not  understand it - say nothing. Everything I said turned out to be 100% true.

Happy Hacking

Neil (The Hakman)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2015 8:36 PM

pdb1:

Since that time . I have been unable to   , save to favorites , create a shortcut , on desktop or anywhere else that will open a WGT window with flash player capabilities . PERIOD . 

Prior to that . I could have WGT links saved anywhere ( desktop & favorites ) that would open with the " Play Now " area visible and enabled and functional .

You're saying you can create the shortcut, or save to favorites, but they don't work with a WGT page with flash on it.  Correct?   If so, what does happen?

Do those desktop shortcuts and favorites you had saved prior to this problem occurring still exist and still work?

• ScottHope
    10,101 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2015 2:10 AM

How do you create your favourites?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2015 5:51 AM

pdb1:

I am cannot figure where there is any setting of mine that could alter , change or fix this . 

Is no one else having any problems similar to this ?

I've seen the upper left corner WGT panel (Play NOW and friends list) missing when I didn't have Flash enabled in the browser plug-in settings.

• lkchesnut
    67 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2015 6:17 AM

I had a similar problem several months ago.  I would try to login, get a No Flash Player installed message (Yes I had Flash installed) and had the blank login screen as you showed above. I got some help from the Geek Squad (siince I had just gotten a new hard drive) to determine I had an incorrect version of Adobe Shockwave Player.  They installed Adobe Shockwave Player 12.1 version 12.1.8.158 and have not had a problem since.

Hope this helps!

~ Lee ~

• pearljammmmer
    4,268 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2015 9:12 AM

I just got finished being dropped from a two player 9 hole stroke play game while playing the very last hole, apparently since it was my third disconnect of the game. The first two times I kept "spinning" until I was disconnected, then I reloaded ok. The third time I got the dreaded white screen with the exclamation point - as my shot was landing on the green. No "rejoin game" screen appeared when I reloaded, nor did it for the guy I was playing with (we were on Skype).

And that's the second time that's happened in a week while playing two player stroke play. Other time (with a different player) we're on the 14th hole, we'd been disconnected a few times already, and the three knockdown rule was in effect, we both went to the canvas. No game to come back to, no stats, no nothing. Frustrating. No nothing but ball usage that is.

But when I have had connection / loading problems since this update, it's never when I am am playing solo, which is a lot. It seems like the more players, the FAR more chance of these problems happening. And from talking to others, many of them feel the same.

I'm just giving WGT information that will hopefully help them with future fixes, etc. Figured this thread was as good as any to do that.

RSS