Forums

Help › Forums

2015 British Open

Fri, Jul 17 2015 2:00 PM (57 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2015 4:39 AM

PaulTon:

Did you here about the Englishman with an inferiority complex?

He thought he was only equal to everyone else.

As an Englishman that's not a problem I ever had:)

As for the Open, well, technically I guess the only place that should call it The Open is Scotland.  Bit like the FA (football) and SFA - maybe.

Anyway you invent it you get to call it just The Open.  Any issues with that go invent your own world sport :)  Real world sport BTW not something called a world series that many have never heard of;)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2015 4:41 AM

LMAO Another fine mess I got myself into!! 

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 3:09 PM

SweetiePie:
    when I catch the British 0pen on TV they are always playing in Scotland...why isn't it properly called "The Scottish Open" ?

In the history of the open championship there has been 7 Scottish venues, 6 English venues & 1 in Northern Ireland.

Full list

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 9:03 PM

There is a separate Scottish Open. It's usually held the week before. This year it is at Gullane.

• TarheelsRule
    5,486 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2015 12:51 PM

Courtney is correct, there is a Scottish Open as well, for all I know there may be an English Open as well as an Irish Open.

I'm fine with the Open Championship although it does sound a little high and mighty, sort of like the Super Bowl, the World Series, etc.   lol

I was lucky enough to have gone to Scotland and played a number of the courses that have hosted the Open Championship, also played Gullane which was a former host of the Scottish Open as well.

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2015 2:02 PM

SweetiePie:
    when I catch the British 0pen on TV they are always playing in Scotland

Haven't you been around in 2006, when Tiger won in Liverpool, England with his famous 2-iron?

Or, in Royal St. Georges, 2011, Darren Clarke winning?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2015 2:49 PM

It is all interesting, especially the part where the 1st 0pen in 1860 was in Scotland and was played only in Scotland until it went inside England to Royal St. George in 1894...34 years of fine Scotch... 

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2015 9:25 PM

PaulTon:
    It is called The Open Cahmpionship, nothing else

I've always called it The Open. Ever since I started playing golf, in real life, I have been in awe of St. Andrews.

No ridiculous elevations, no monsterously long par 5's. It's golf the way it was meant to be played. Even with all of the fancy new equipment that comes out every year the large percentage of pros have a difficult time there.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the courses here in the US. Doral's Blue Monster, Bethpage Black, Augusta and Pebble Beach to name a few.

I always watch The Open no matter where it's being held, but when it returns to St. Andrews it's something special.

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2015 2:14 AM

TarheelsRule:

............ although it does sound a little high and mighty, sort of like the Super Bowl, the World Series, etc.   lol

shouldn't that be ... The US Super Bowl ......     :)

• bluey403
    1,527 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2015 2:25 AM

When it returns to The Auld Course IT IS GOLF,,,, A few late nights in store for poor old bluey as it coincides with the LORDS ashes test, the 2 greatest venues in the history of sport.

Cant wait.

RSS