Forums

Help › Forums

My chipping is a flop every time...

Wed, Dec 1 2010 9:26 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RobNE
    74 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2010 3:07 PM

Hi all.  Trying to get to grips with chipping, but to no avail!  Always seems to be a mess, especially from anything like a fringe or rough.  I read the pitching tips threads, but doesn't seem to work.  Am I alone in this?  Flops forever!!

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2010 4:18 PM

I never use chips or flops. I use the "full shot" and it works awesome once you get accustomed to the distances for quarter and half swings and such

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2010 5:00 PM

I'm with you Rob, the flops are the way to go with me, also - easier to control and easier to stick right next to the pin for me.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2010 5:38 PM

RobNE:

Hi all.  Trying to get to grips with chipping, but to no avail!  Always seems to be a mess, especially from anything like a fringe or rough.  I read the pitching tips threads, but doesn't seem to work.  Am I alone in this?  Flops forever!!

If your ball isn't directly next to the green, don't bother with the chip - it won't go anywhere. Use the pitch shot instead. If you are too far to pitch then try the flop (about 19 - 30yds i'd say). If you are 30yds or more - the best thing to do is use a punch or full shot with the shortest of your wedges. Always remember you want to pick a club that uses as much as the swing meter as possible.

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2010 5:59 PM

Pitch it brother. Its the easiest.

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2010 6:17 PM

Never hit a chip less than 75% of your scale.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2010 6:22 PM

mohuyu:
    If your ball isn't directly next to the green, don't bother with the chip - it won't go anywhere. Use the pitch shot instead. If you are too far to pitch then try the flop (about 19 - 30yds i'd say). If you are 30yds or more - the best thing to do is use a punch or full shot with the shortest of your wedges. Always remember you want to pick a club that uses as much as the swing meter as possible.

Couldn't disagree more and I think my stats prove my case.  538 holed shots and I almost exclusively pitch or chip.  Flops may be good to get close but not nearly as effective for knocking it in.  Depending on the lie, I even chip from 40 50 rough sometimes and have holed at least 40 of those.

5-14 yds are almost always chips.  Tinker with top spin some if you have to run it through the fringe. 

14-34 yds are pitches 90% of the time.  Some holes like STA #13 or #14 (old pins) short of hole mandate a flop. There are several other lies where you have to hit a flop but bottom line, practice CHIPPING and PITCHING if you want to sink more approaches.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2010 6:30 PM

RUSTY40:
    Never hit a chip less than 75% of your scale.

Almost but there are some exceptions. Example, hole #10 on BPB to back left pin on tourney greens.  Approach ends up in the fringe and you can't putt because you know the ball won't move an inch (which is seriously fkd up).  50% of my 7 yd chip with a little top spin and it comes right out and runs to about 5 feet below the hole.  Same with BPB #13 pin high in fringe to right of old pin but I make that one more times than not.

Anything less than 50% on chips spells certain disaster most of the time and if you are tinkering around the 50% mark, make damn sure you ding it.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2010 10:05 PM

from fringes or roughs round greens mate....best to use a cricket bat or even kick the ball because using anything resembling a golf club and WGT will turn your shot into a lottery....will it go as you hit it or will it scuff 5 millimetres leaving you thinking "WTF....I hit the ball correctly."

tbe

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2010 3:58 AM

I suggest you guys listen to Jake. He knows what he is talking about

-wgticon

• PAGES
RSS