Help › Forums

Gameplay tip: don't bother making master

rated by 0 users
Sun, Nov 28 2010 12:09 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • choaspes
    8 Posts
    Mon, Nov 22 2010 8:18 AM

It just means your tee gets shunted way back and, urm, nothing else.

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Mon, Nov 22 2010 1:42 PM

what score do i have to stay above to avoid this punishment?  thanks.

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Mon, Nov 22 2010 1:55 PM

choaspes:

Master tees are not really that long. And the challenge to score well makes it even more fun imo. It's not the extra length off the tees that makes the Master tier harder it's going from fast to very fast greens. That takes a lot of time to get used to. My advice is to play as many CC tourneys as you can. Our CC has many tourneys using tournament green speeds. So when and if I make legend it will be an easier transition.

And if you can afford it play a few ready-gos most the ones I have played in the past month either have tournament or championship green speeds.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Nov 22 2010 2:31 PM

Pillsy, there's really no way of knowing this with the new average scoring system WGT has implemented and is now a closely guarded secret. You can post above par scores, but then your average stays the same and that would tend to get boring. It's best to practice and keep playing, eventually you'll become a competitor.

Sting offers the best advice to adhere too, and will make the game fun for you again.

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Mon, Nov 22 2010 5:08 PM

i am not master yet but very close, even finally got some really long clubs to be ready.  i was curious about green speeds; my greens are all "very fast"  do they become "very fasterer" in master?

tia

i am having way too much fun and wasting waaaaaaaay too much time

• choaspes
    8 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2010 2:24 AM

@borntobesting

I disagree, I don't find the very fast greens difficult - you quickly get used to it, what IS a problem is not being able to reach half of the par 4s in two shots on Bethpage and to a lesser extent Oakmont. The master tees don't make much difference on St. Andrews and Kiawah, but who wants to play just those two courses over and over again?

Now that the system for qualifying for better clubs has changed and your tier is irrelevant all that going up a tier does is make your long clubs, which you paid for, obsolete.

For the guy who was asking how to avoid going up a tier (sorry can't see who it was now I'm replying) - I made master when I had an average of about 67 and a bit on TP, but that may now have changed as it was a couple of months ago.

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2010 3:30 PM

now i did it

got my masters, some credits, slightly longer tees but the greens don't seem any faster; i was on "very fast" entirely during "pro-tour"

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2010 5:51 PM

choaspes:

I am a master and while it took a while to get used to it you can still score good rounds. Shot a 64 today on BP in the unlimited tourney....I like the challenge

• choaspes
    8 Posts
    Thu, Nov 25 2010 1:42 AM

What driver / 3W / irons were you using SGTBilko?

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Thu, Nov 25 2010 5:49 AM

choaspes:

What driver / 3W / irons were you using SGTBilko?

Hey Choapes

I just got to where I was able to by the G10 Driver, G10 3 Hybrid and the G10 Irons. I recently got to where I could purchase the G10 irons and for me that is what made the difference. The high trajectory is important not only for that course but I use the G13S ball because of the slower meter. 

• PAGES
RSS