Forums

Help › Forums

How to sink one from far away?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 23 2010 5:21 AM (8 replies)
  • bertdanger
    10 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2010 3:10 PM

I've seen several folks in the forum yacking about their 150 hole in ones etc. I have been playing for months and have sunk only one shot from any great distance. (About 120 yards)

Does anyone have any tricks or tips about this? I have like 1 Eagle after all these months. I'm pretty good at getting darn close but......it is starting to frustrate me. 

I've tried hitting with backspin. I've tried hitting with top spin. I've tried with no spin. When I get close, the ball always bounces over or is moving so fast it rolls over the hole. Or of course, it ends up being short.

Thanks in advance for any good tips. 

Bert

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2010 3:39 PM

It's generally all luck. Of course a lot of practice will result in consistently hitting very close to the hole --> will result in many more hole outs just based on odds alone.

Also, you want to run towards to hole and not land and stop. The former usually allows for more chances to hole out but also many more chances to run by the hole. Basically it's a trade off: run by the hole for hole out and risk getting 10ft-15ft by, or hit with bs and land inside 5-7ft.

-wgticon

• Ken5772
    11 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2010 8:28 PM

This might be posted in the wrong area but I would like to know how those players who shoot in the 50's consistently do it...You either have found a solution or are using something other than what WGT has issued you.  How about a hint or something to advance us before I throw all these clubs in to the lake..including my vapor balls... Anybody interested in coming forwarded????

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2010 9:23 PM

First work out the distance, then the direction, and take all the time you have.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2010 9:56 PM

50's consistently = lots of practice

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Sat, Nov 20 2010 5:50 AM

Im with ya burt i've been here a LONG time and have 1 hole out over about 20 yds. and that was on St. Andrews first par 5 from about 60 for my only eagle. Cant figure it out and it seems like when I play with tour masters and up they hole one every round.

• bertdanger
    10 Posts
    Sat, Nov 20 2010 7:40 AM

Well Stencil,

I guess we just have to practice more? There seemed to be one good tip in this thread so I'll try that.

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Sun, Nov 21 2010 5:36 AM

It also doesnt help my case by not playing much.

• freeswinger83
    22 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2010 5:21 AM

bertdanger:

I've seen several folks in the forum yacking about their 150 hole in ones etc. I have been playing for months and have sunk only one shot from any great distance. (About 120 yards)

Does anyone have any tricks or tips about this? I have like 1 Eagle after all these months. I'm pretty good at getting darn close but......it is starting to frustrate me. 

I've tried hitting with backspin. I've tried hitting with top spin. I've tried with no spin. When I get close, the ball always bounces over or is moving so fast it rolls over the hole. Or of course, it ends up being short.

Thanks in advance for any good tips. 

Bert

As alot of the post suggest bert, alot of practice is always best. And although I personally dont use them anymore, the hole info screens will help youout when you're trying to decide whether to try and stick 1 close or let it hit and roll toward the hole. My best is a 197 yd shot on a BPB CTTH hole. I read the hole info and just hit it and let it roll. It just so happens that I was only an amateur at the time. Learn the greens and your clubs and you will soon find you're getting closer and closer to holing out that long distance shot. Good luck. 

RSS